Monday, September 26, 2011

I Should Have My Head Examined or ISO: “Dancing Cats” Grey/Lavender Blender Fabric by Kathi Campbell for Four Corners Designs

“I was consumed by the mystery Edward presented. And more than a little obsessed by Edward himself.” —Bella Swan, Twilight, page 67

I've had a lot of fun working on my Twilight quilt, More Than A Little Obsessed, lately. Actually, I'm not sure whether it is fun or madness. Let me tell you what I mean.

To arrive at the current layout, I went through three major revisions and a few tweaks {see layout 1, layout 2, layout 3}. With each revision, the quilt got bigger and I added more and more details. Below is the third layout after a few tweaks. I've filled in all the blocks I have finished so far {OK, so some of them still need some hand stitching and embroidery details on them, but you get the idea}. Only eleven empty spots to fill.

As I've worked on my blocks and studied my layout, I decided that it wasn't so much a Twilight quilt, as it was an Edward-Bella-Jacob quilt. There is a distinct lack of Jasper & Alice, Emmett & Rosalie and Carlisle & Esme. A friend once suggested that I cut out some of the trees to make room for more blocks. I didn't really like that idea at the time, but the idea was kind of appealing to me last week because I've run out of the grey/lavender blender fabric I've been using for the sky in all of my blocks for regular old rainy days in Forks. If I cut up the top row of trees and move some blocks up, I'd have room for the aforementioned missing Cullens and I would have enough of the grey/lavender fabric for the other blocks that need it. So, I tweaked the layout again. This added two more blocks to my orphan pile and brought me to 15 empty spots to fill.

I missed that top row of trees. I like they way they sort of “bookend” the quilt. I decided that the only way to make it work was to add another row, which makes me really glad I didn't start dicing up the top row of trees to salvage the background fabric right away. I added eight new blocks to the layout, reassigned others and un-orphaned those two blocks I scrapped before. The finished size is 60” x 76”. This leaves me with 18 empty spaces to fill and I'm still out of background fabric.

I should have my head examined. Because I am still making two identical quilts. Really. I figure it will probably only take me another two years to finish. But you know my motto: Go Big or Go Home!

Visit my index for links to posts about each block.

3 comments:

Shay said...

I've heard that quilting isn't a race so if it takes 2 years it's not a big deal. It's a gorgeous quilt and well worth taking your time over. And knowing you I'm sure you'll still love Twilight as much whenever you finish it as you do now!

P. said...

Elizabeth, your Twilight blocks continue to be amazing. I'm sure however you put your quilt(s) together, it's going to be nothing short of incredible.

Rhonda said...

absolutely love these