Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Gracie's Pinwheels: Finished is Better than Perfect

The soul's joy lies in doing. –Percy Bysshe Shelley

The Voice and I have come to an agreement. She agrees not to nag me about not pulling out ¾ of a quilt's worth of quilting so I could do it the perfect another way and I agree to ignore her if she does :lol:. As a matter of fact, I ignored her long enough on Saturday to get the quilting finished, the binding on, and about half of it sewn down by hand on the back. I finished yesterday, but by the time I'd washed and dried it, there wasn't any light left outside to take a full photo of it.

It is really soft and crinkly and the little girl it is for {who, incidentally, is named Gracie; note the embroidered :crazy: tag} won't know that it might have been a completely different quilt had I done the quilting another way. Yeah :rolleyes:. I can still hear that nagging Voice. It is emotion arguing with reason. The Voice says I made a mistake in the quilting I chose because the flowers are crazy on top of crazy. The Voice said that it could have been better if I'd unpicked and done the quilting another way. I'm telling you, Voice, that you've got to stop. It's not like I threw it together. The workmanship is good and overall I did a really nice job on it {the stitch length in my FMQ was really consistent :biggrin:}. The loopy flowers are really cute. Pulling out all that quilting would have been too much work. Besides, it is done and delivered {Gracie's mom loved it!} and there's nothing you can do about it :raspberry:.

Not that that's settled, I can show you the cute little pillowcase I made to go with it. There was just over a yard left of the pink floral; it just had to be done. I did a little tutorial for Fancy Pillowcases a while back, so if you're interested, you can visit the on-line version or download the PDF version. I folded it up so that it would fit in the picture, but it really is a full-size pillow case.

And for those of you like me, who have to see the whole quilt, here is it. I love the fabrics that Gracie's mom picked! This quilt turned out really fun.

Today's post brought to you by:

My 2011 Finishes

8 comments:

Shay said...

It really is gorgeous Elizabeth and perfect in spite of what you think and the recipent was thrilled so what better compliment is there than that!

Angie said...

Looks great! Tell the voice to pack it's bags!

Barb said...

What a lovely quilt along with the accessories....

Annelise said...

CRAZY CUTE!!

Paulette said...

It is so beautiful, Elizabeth! You really do wonderful work. Keep telling The Voice to hush. Those inner perfectionist demons have no business messing with our fun!

Peggy said...

It is beautiful awsome! It seems to me that any kind of quilting would have been busy on busy unless you did stitch in the ditch and I don't think you are going back to that now that you have come out of our dark ages phase. I love, it is done and gone, they love it. But if you still think better of it just try something different next time. You know you always learn so much with each new thing as you go along. love you.

QuiltNut Creations said...

you did a great job! it looks lovely; I love the color choices. congrats on finishing it.

Joy said...

Love! I am finishing a bento box top and am looking up quilting on busy quilts... what would you have done if not the flowers? Have you done a bento box? Any recomendations for a beginner to pick and share with my quilter?