Monday, August 1, 2011

Various and Sundry Monday: Vol 16

Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
–Muhammad Ali


More Hexie Art Journals
These little notebooks with quilted covers are so much fun to make. I put together a few more. I made two using a bit of Sew Cherry by Lori Holt

And I did a third notebook using those darling Sanibel coordinates.

Love these? Want one? I'm having a little Hexie Notebook Giveaway. Entries will be accepted until 10:00 pm {MST} on August 9th.

Apprehension
The class of '91 reunites in 5 days. I'm kind of nervous. Like a lot. And I'm kind of wondering why I decided to go. I think I got a little excited by all the chatter on Facebook. That's mostly died down now and my 18 year-old self is reminding me how much I did not like High School. Hopefully, some of the kids I hung around with will be there and I'll have fun catching up with them. At the very least it will be a nice dinner out {read: no cooking!} and Mr. Bug and I are thinking of getting a hotel in Salt Lake and making a weekend of it.

For your extreme amusement {or my extreme embarrassment, you pick}, a picture of me in those days-gone-by with the biggest hair I could find.

Pinwheel Sampler Update
I've kind of been procrastinating quilting the Pinwheel Sampler. My plans for it are a bit ambitions . . . and a bit intimidating. I mean, once you take that first stitch you're committed. At least I am. I have an "I don't unpick" policy which I like to maintain. I'm especially stringent about enforcing it when it comes to machine quilting because it takes three times as long to take out as it does to put in. With all that fancy FMQ I've got planned, there's plenty of potential for disaster.

So, I let thread, or lack thereof get in my way. I decided that I had to have Aurifil. There are only four shops in Utah that sell Aurifil. The closest of those shops is a 20-minute drive from my house and I really hate to drive across town for anything, so I put it off and put it off. When I finally made it to the shop, they only had one spool of off-white in the 50-weight and a teeny, tiny handful of colors on teeny, tiny spools, none of which worked for my quilt. I bought the off-white so I could get started and came home and ordered a color card. Hopefully, it will get here soon, so I can get the other colors I need/want.

With thread in hand, I got the quilt marked, basted and I started on the ditch work. I've got most of it done; well, the pre-meditated ditch work, that is. Some of the blocks obviously need it; others, I'll have to wait and see. I'm going to get the Little Bugs tucked in and then I'm going to spend some quality time with Grace.

Today's post brought to you by:

My 2011 Finishes

5 comments:

Paulette said...

I can't help but smile about that picture, not about the hair but the matching Mickey Mouse sweatshirts. Ah, youth.

I bet you will have a great time at your reunion! If not, just think of it as blog fodder.

Love the hexie journals! SO cute!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your little notebooks are adorable!!
I think we all have some photos that make us cringe from back in the day - lol!

Barb said...

Your little notebooks are adorable...did you do a tutorial on those.

Oh...the hair...I was Farrah Faucett (can't spell her last name) but I had a do like hers...

Shay said...

We all had big hair in those days my friend. I had a spiral perm for crying out loud. THAT'S embarrassing.

Love the notebooks and I hope you got to give Grace a workout. Your pinwheels are so cute!

QuiltNut Creations said...

love these notebooks!