Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sabbath Songs: Live Like You Believe

Live like you believe
Live like you know
It's one sure way
Your faith will grow
–Jenny Phillips

I've mentioned before that I'm pretty much on my own as far as religion goes in our house. I try to keep a positive attitude about it, but it is a bit overwhelming to me sometimes and not everything gets done the way it should. I'm in the Primary Presidency in our ward {LDS-speak for volunteer in the children's Sunday school organization} and our theme for this year is I Know the Scriptures are True. I shared our beautiful theme song for this year a few weeks ago. Since the new theme was announced last fall, being a consistent, daily reader of the scriptures has been on my mind and in my goals for self-improvement. That is one of the things I struggle with, both reading on my own and reading with my kids. But since we'll be talking about the scriptures a lot in Primary this year, I've been working on reading every day. I'm still a bit hit-and-miss, but I'm getting better and I've noticed a few extra blessings on my side. I really like this song by Jenny Phillips and I think that it applies to me. Her music seems to speak comfort to all my worries.


I usually keep my Sunday posts specific to religious topics, but today I also have a finish to share with you that kind of relates. I made church bags for all of us in the Primary Presidency. Let me clarify. I bought the canvas bags and personalized them with this year's theme. I used Becky Shaw's super cute binder cover graphics, added our names to each and printed them out on fusible ink-jet fabric sheets. Then I fused some Heat 'n Bond Lite to the fabric strips and sewed them on to make a cute border. I fused the whole thing to the bag and then used a cute decorative stitch to hold everything together.

So, you might be wondering why there are two natural canvas bags and two different white canvas bags. Well,you see, I did four bags similar to this at the beginning of 2010, only I just printed out the binder covers with the theme and ironed them on the bags {I didn't think of adding the borders until they were all done and given away}. In the mean time, two of the girls in our Presidency moved, taking their bags with them and so we got new girls to work with. By the end of the year, the little iron-on graphic was starting to peel off at the corners for the two of us who still had bags, so I pulled them the rest of the way off and re-used our two bags. But when I went to get bags for the two new girls, they didn't have the same style as before and they didn't even have two of the same style of what they did have on hand. So, I just went with it. I didn't care much, because I'd brought along my trusty 50% off coupons and only paid $2.50 for each of them.

I've wondered whether to count this as one finish or four. I didn't even make the bags. And considering the 4± hours I spent on them, I'm not sure how fair that is because it is only a drop in the bucket when you compare that to how long it takes to make a quilt. But these are going to four separate houses to be used by four different people, so I think I'm going to count them as four finishes. Sometimes, it is about the quantity :lol:.

Today's post brought to you by:

My 2011 Finishes

4 comments:

Barb said...

What a clever idea....

Hang in there...

Maggey and Jim said...

That song was beautiful and love your bags..both colors..I used to paint on them and they are so useful.. Have a blessed Sunday.
God loves you
Maggey

PaTcHwOrK jEnN said...

I love those bags. Thanks for the great idea.

whimsyfox said...

absolutely 4 finishes! ;D