Friday, October 7, 2011

Favourite Things Friday: Scissors

It's all fun and games until someone runs with scissors.

I love scissors. Sharp scissors for cutting fabric. Small scissors for snipping thread. Big, mean, scary kitchen shears for cutting meat. Nicely honed scissors for trimming hair. Dull paper-cutting scissors. Any kind of scissors. Whenever I see a pair of scissors for sale at a store, I drool over them for a minute and then remind myself that I already have too many pairs that I have lost count. I'm going to share a few of my favorites with you.

I bought this tiny pair perhaps four months ago and it is the newest in my collection. The pink won me over. I use them solely for snipping threads and keep them with my embroidery projects. I ♥ these little cuties.

This is my oldest pair. These Ginghers were a gift for Christmas in 1993. They are fabric only scissors. They have never been used on paper and have never been sharpened. They are still the sharpest scissors I own and will remain so.

And these are my pinking shears. There is nothing particularly special or exciting about them, except that I got them at 50% off and up until a year ago when I bought them, I'd never owned pinking shears. They really come in handy.

I have probably 16 other pair, which does seem a bit excessive. But if I weren't so practical, I would probably own a hundred pair of scissors.

Today's post brought to you by:

8 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

And I thought I had a lot of scissors with nine pairs. With all of the cute ones out there now, they are hard to resist.

Mommarock said...

My son picked up my fabric scissors yesterday to cut out his homework paper, Oooh did he get in trouble.. luckily they didn't make it to the paper. And they are PINK.. why would he even pick them up???? I thought I was safe there.. Nooo. Gonna have to make some tags of some kind for my scissors that say FABRIC ONLY!!

Paulette said...

I'm drooling over those cute and colorful scissors at the top there. I don't know how many pair I have. I've inherited some. The Gingher shears are my favorite. I finally had mine sharpened after 20 years. You can send them in to Gingher with a $7 check and they sharpen and return them. Shortly after I had them sharpened I nicked the edge on a pin and now they have a sticky spot but I keep using them. I've got piles of pinking scissors. It's cheaper to buy a new pair than have them sharpened when they go dull, but some of mine are antiques so I hang onto them even though I don't use them anymore. Great FTF!

Jennifer Lovell said...

What a fun thing to collect! I really like scissors, too. I wish I had way more than I do.

Shay said...

OK- this post rocked my socks because I love scissors too. I have lots of pairs and all for specific things - just like you!

I don't understand people who only have one pair . Those people obviously don't quilt!

Fabulous fave E!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Well this is the 3rd try at attempting to tell you that I love scissors too and that I just bought a gorgeous teeny pair of embroidery scissors that are mint green with little white spots. Where would we be without them?
Please play nice blogger.

Marg said...

I like having lots of different scissors. Each pair for a different task. It would be hard to do without them.

QuiltNut Creations said...

I love scissors too. and so do my children. especially my do not ever ever use this to cut paper scissors. I will get nicer scissors when they all move out ;)