Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Pooling of Resources

Whatever we possess becomes of double value when we have the opportunity of sharing it with others. –Jean-Nicolas Bouilly

I did a Sudoku quilt class with a group of ladies in my church. We finished up the quilts last fall and we're in the process of getting a very rudimentary machine quilting class together, so that the ladies who participated can see if they want to quilt their own quilts or send them out to be quilted. One of the ladies knew she didn't want to do her own and so we arranged to trade services. A while back, I had a little family get-together and needed to give my house a once-over. She happens to be very good, very thorough and very fast at cleaning and she likes to do it. I asked if she'd come and help me clean and in exchange, I would quilt her quilt for her.

Here's her quilt, all quilted and ready to be bound.

I did some old favorites—swirls in the sashing, of course. And I did arcs in the nine-patches. I used variegated thread, which was really fun, but is difficult to see in pictures.

I tried something different in the border; I did alternating fans, which came out really nicely. You can see them better from the back. I think the back of this quilt is really almost as fun as the front.

She's going to do the binding herself. She's picked out a pretty red, which will make a nice frame. It was so nice to have her help getting my house ready for company. And I really enjoyed quilting this for her. I'll drop it off to her later this afternoon.

7 comments:

pinksuedeshoe said...

We might have to have a chat about trading services.... seriously.

Rachel said...

It looks fantastic! I wish I had someone like her close to me...LOL...I would happily trade quilting for cleaning...

QuiltNut Creations said...

Fabulous job on the quilting!!

Shay said...

She's going to love it. It's brilliant.

I'd like to exchange cleaning services for something too but I'm not sure what I do well enough to swap!

whimsyfox said...

that quilt makes me want to have a popcicle! it turned out great!

whimsyfox said...

oh, if only we lived closer........i would trade organizing your quilt room for your quilting!

Bente-I like to QuiltBlog said...

wow, beautiful quilt and your quilting is gorgeous, congrat!!
Liebe Grüße
Bente