Friday, May 17, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Pinkalicious

Pink isn't just a color, it's an attitude! –Miley Cyrus

Welcome Blogger's Quilt Festival visitors! I'm really excited that Amy is allowing two entries this time, in separate categories. You can see my first post here. And I'm really excited to share this second quilt with you {or, again for those of you who've been reading for a while}. It was such fun quilt to put together.

Blogger’s Quilt Festival Stats
Quilt Name: Pinkalicious
Finished quilt measures: 48” x 48”
Special techniques used: non-traditional backing {Ultra Cuddle} and binding {Satin Blanket Binding}
Quilted by: Me
Blogger's Quilt Festival Category: Baby Quilt

I made this quilt as a gift for my sister's new baby girl last fall.

I enjoyed rummaging through my stash and pulling out the prettiest pink fabrics, in every shade imaginable, for this quilt. In addition, I included nine chocolate brown squares, all the same fabric, with pretty pink tulips on them. Those blocks I gathered on two edges, giving them a little bit of a ruffled 3-dimensional aspect. The blocks are 4” and the sashing and corner stones are 1”.

I used Ultra Cuddle for the back, which is soft like Minky, but fuzzy on both sides. Rather than putting batting in the middle of the quilt sandwich, because the Ultra Cuddle has quite a bit of loft on its own, I used a layer of white flannel. As I worked with the quilt, and had some issues with puckers on the back {which required unpicking}, I decided that if I ever used Ultra-Cuddle or Minky on the back of a quilt again, I would fuse my layer of flannel to the Ultra-Cuddle or Minky to give it a little bit more stability. I actually did make this same quilt again, only in blues, for a friend a few months later and used Mistyfuse between the flannel and Ultra Cuddle that time. I noticed a big improvement and will definitely do it that way in the future. I absolutely love the texture of the Ultra Cuddle on the back of the quilt, and baby blankets pretty much require Satin Blanket Binding. It is slippery and that in combination with the nap on the Ultra Cuddle require lots of pinning, but I think the results are worth it.

I quilted “cat's eyes” {I call it that because it reminds me of a cat's eye marble} and “roses” in each block. I embroidered a label with the baby's name {redacted for security purposes}, birth day, weight, length and time on it.

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and have a look. You can read my original post on this quilt here.

Today's post brought to you by:
AmysCreativeSide.com

13 comments:

Lorna McMahon said...

Wow, Elizabeth! I had to pop over and visit after receiving your comment on the Sew Retro, Baby at my Sew Fresh Quilts blog... And am I ever glad I did! Your quilt is sew sweet! I love the addition of the browns. And hearing about the backing. I have only ever used flannel. The blue quilt is equally sweet. Love your labels, too! Did you just use a permanent marker?

Christine M said...

Gorgeous quilt Elizabeth.

Seams Sew Together said...

Loving the pinks, great work on the quilting!

a maidenhair fern said...

What a lovely quilt. I love the tag.

Paulette said...

Such a sweet quilt! I like how you think of the fun details...the ruffly brown squares, the minky, the satin binding. So has baby bonded with this quilt? I'm thinking I would drag it everywhere! Love the quilting too. Cats' eyes - great name for that type of quilting.

charlotte said...

Love it love it love it. I have been wanting to make a really pink quilt and I saw your linky and had to take a deeper look. Very nice.

Shay said...

Perfect for a little girl. I love the satin binding . It reminds me of a vintage receiving blanket.

CitricSugar said...

Lovely! And great name!

Amy said...

It is just gorgeous, Elizabeth! Perfect for any little girl for years to come. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

I love it - the design is so crisp and clean and yet so girly!

DeborahGun said...

so pretty :-) I love pink!

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Precious! What a beautiful quilt!

Carrie P. said...

It is a beautiful pink entry. Pink is one of my favorite colors.