Thursday, May 30, 2013

The String Ring Dresden and the Bogart

Bogart: /ˈboʊ gɑrt/ — Slang, Verb:
1. to take an unfair share of something; keep for oneself instead of sharing. Derived, presumably, from actor Humphrey Bogart's tendency to frequently hold a cigarette between his lips or in his hand, but never to actually smoke it.
Noun:
1. a person who hogs or monopolizes something.
2. a magical creature that takes the form of whatever you fear the most.


Once upon a time, P. made a fabulous String Ring Dresden quilt top {String Dresden Tutorial here}. P. does amazing things with fabric. I loved the colors she picked. I even sent her a few fabrics when she put out a call for more strings in those colors, and it was really fun to see them incorporated into her quilt top. So when she said she wasn't going to quilt it herself, but send it off on a fabulous quilting vacation—destination to be determined, I opened my big mouth and told her I had an idea for those fabulous Dresdens.

A few months later, a box arrived at my doorstep, which I resolutely ignored for a good three months. I was absolutely terrified that I would mess up her beautiful quilt top with my poor quilting skills. Eventually, I took a peek at her flimsy {she had it folded right sides together} and was completely amazed by it all over again. Photographs don't quite do quilts justice. From there, I started fleshing out the quilting plan details in the back of my mind, while still ignoring the quilt in its box for a few more months. Sometime around the five month mark, I knew it was time to get going or send the quilt back. I took a deep breath and started quilting. I stitched in the ditch to stabilize the quilt and then did ¼" echo quilting around all the Dresdens, diamonds and border.

Then I started adding some details. I'm not finished yet, but so far, not bad.

What P. doesn't know, is that when I'm finished with this quilt I'm keeping it. I even got her to send me the binding for it. I told her that I like to put the binding on part-way through the quilting process to keep lint from building up on the quilt top from the excess border of batting. It is true, but I told P. that as part of my evil plot to get possession of this super fabulous quilt. And now that it's here, there's pretty much nothing she can do to get it back :mischief:.

6 comments:

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

love your string dresdens!! they are really beautiful!

-Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

QuiltNut Creations said...

Looks like you did a fabulous job! I would keep it too!!

Mara said...

Love your quilting so far.

Paulette said...

I know where you live! Well, not exactly, but I'd find it. ;)

You are doing awesome, and I'm so excited! I totally forgot I had sent you the binding too. If you decide you don't need to put it on, I'm happy to do it when it comes home. MY home. :)

Lane said...

It's the details that make the quilt and the quilting. You two collaborating is a good thing. Lane

Shay said...

I can see her hunting you down and wrestling this quilt back into her possession. I think that'd be kinda fun to watch. Hell hath no fury like a woman trying to get one of her favourite quilts back.

Love what you've done so far!