Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Inchworm

Inchworm, inchworm
Measuring the marigolds
You and your arithmetic
You'll probably go far

Two and two are four
Four and four are eight
Eight and eight are sixteen
Sixteen and sixteen are thirty-two

–Frank Loesser

Over the last 22 months, Grasshopper has grown like a weed. A very tall, skinny weed. It is impossible to keep him in pants. Right now, he's wearing size 18 slim, with an adjustable waistband from the boys' department, but he's almost too tall for those. I'm not sure where I'm going to find him jeans that are 24”W x 34” L. I've looked on-line, and some sites say they carry that size, but when I click on the link to order them, they are sold out. The closest I've found in stock are Levi's Shrink-to-Fit 501's, but even after a good shrinking, the waist will still be about 2” too large. At $45 a pair, and with only a general estimate of actual shrinkage, I haven't been willing to chance it yet, especially since as the length increases, so does the waist size.

Now that Grasshopper has grown taller than his mother {he's got a good 2” on me}, we thought it was about time to let him do a few important grown-up things, like riding shotgun. And mowing the lawn.

He's still perfecting his technique, especially with the edging. But with a few more months' practice, I'm sure he'll get there.

Now, if I can just keep him in pants we'll be all set.

9 comments:

Paulette said...

It's fun to see his growth chart. Three-quarters of an inch in a few weeks, wow! I bet he's got a healthy appetite too. Good luck finding jeans.

Julie said...

Check Reams or Cal-Ranch for their 501 sales. They are usually around $30 then. Wrangler also makes a slim jean besides being skinny in the first place. Good times.

Shay said...

Looks like that poor son of yours might be wearing cargo shorts all summer!

Jeri said...

I have been in your shoes. My son is 18 & currently wears 32x36 slim he jumped straight from 28x36 slim. I had to order his Wranglers from a western wear store. I couldn't even get the Wranglers online direct from Wrangler company I had to order them from a western store so if you have one near you give them a call and see if they will order you some.

Lane said...

The good news is that summer shorts should be easier to fit him in. And, maybe his waist will catch up to his legs by fall. I remember those gangly, skinny years. And, I remember mowing the yard. But, why? It just needs doing again next week. Lane

Anonymous said...

Next time you come up here Or we come down there. I still have the part for that mower so it can be used with out a bag. ( mulch plug).
Dad

Mara said...

I am having a hard time finding the May linky party, are you doing one this month?

Richard Healey said...

Rebecca had the same problem for a long time too tall and too skinny it can be a challenge. When a kid I had the same issue my mother just decided to buy the waist that fit and I wore floods lol it was a joy to be a kid.

Carrie P. said...

It seems boys just shoot up so fast when they hit puberty. I am sure hubby is happy he doesn't have to mow the yard any more!