Sunday, January 19, 2014

Walt Disney World Day 2: A Bug's Life

Isn’t it a bit surprising
How one’s fortunes ebb and flow;
And only to the enterprising
Does the magic fortune cookie go?
Believe me,
It’s the time of your life so live it well.

–Randy Newman, It's The Time of Your Life from A Bug's Life

Sunday, January 19, 2014
Destination: Animal Kingdom
Weather Forecast: High of 64˚


7:45 am, EST [5:45 am, MST]: Too. Early. To. Wake. Up.
8:30 am, EST [6:30 am, MST]: Still too early . . .
10:30 am, EST [8:30 am, MST]: A little sleeping in on vacation is in order, but it's time to get up already.
11:57 am, EST [9:57 am, MST]: Bathing and dressing accomplished. Clothes unpacked {Sidebar: I never unpack on vacation. It just seems weird to put my clothes in someone else's drawer, but I thought this might be the easiest way to keep track of what is clean and what is dirty. If it's in the drawer — which, by the way, are nice and big; Mr Bug and I can fit all our clothes for 6 days in one drawer and there's plenty of room left over — it's clean. After you've worn it, put it in the suitcase. Folded. And don't wear it again.}. Room organized so the maid doesn't trip over luggage.
12:02 pm, EST [10:02 am, MST]: Our quest for food takes us to the restaurant just off the main entrance to the hotel where we are staying — Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory and it has a Mardi Gras theme going on. We got the Disney Dining Plan {they had a great deal going on when we booked}, so we're set for food. Brunch today: pizza for the Not-So-Little Bugs, a Cajun chicken sandwich for Mr. Bug and a tuna salad sandwich {which, by the way, is HUGE} for me.
12:40 pm, EST [10:40 am, MST]: We're waiting for the shuttle to the Animal Kingdom park. I'm so excited to be here I can hardly contain myself.
1:00 pm, EST [11:00 am, MST]: The shuttle is {finally} here. Have I mentioned? This is so awesome!
2:26 pm, EST [12:26 pm, MST]: Park entry achieved {after you tap your MagicBand on the Mickey scanner, they scan your fingerprint so if you loose your MagicBand no one else can use it to get into the park}, locker secured, Disney Trading Pin purchased, photos snapped, milling about aimlessly accomplished and various bathroom breaks taken.
Our FastPasses for Kilimanjaro Safaris are available now, so that is where we are headed.
4:40 pm, EST [2:40 pm, MST]: Giraffic jam navigated,
Safari ride thoroughly enjoyed,
Coats retrieved from locker {it looks like I didn't really need to do all that laundry so that we could have something different to wear every day.}, more milling about aimlessly accomplished, It's Tough to be a Bug 3D show attended, and snacks procured {thanks again, Disney Dining}.
4:45 pm, EST [2:45 pm, MST]: Our Expedition Everest FastPasses are available. Look out, Yeti! Here we come!
4:52 pm, EST [2:52 pm, MST]: That was totally awesome — among my top 5 favorite roller coasters of all time. When Mr. Bug and I came here a few years back, this was the first ride we rode. It was a short wait, so we got off and got right back in line for it. Also, it is as I suspected earlier, but tried to ignore anyway. That is a migraine. And the roller coaster made it worse. I will be so embarrassed if I have to throw up in a garbage can at The Magic Kingdom.
4:57 pm, EST [2:57 pm, MST] I managed to hold it together long enough to get a Coke, which is helping to settle my stomach and will hopefully, in combination with a little medication, put this headache to rest. Also, I hope this isn't going to be a vacation-long thing.
5:01 pm, EST [3:01 pm, MST]: Our next FastPass isn't until 6:30 pm. The Not-So-Little Bugs are loosing enthusiasm {their feet hurt despite the expensive sneakers we bought them} and according to the nifty Disney app, the wait time isn't too long, so we're going to stand in line for DINOSAUR.
6:30 pm, EST [4:30 pm, MST]: While we were waiting in line, something went wrong and they closed the ride for about 20 minutes, which caused our FastPasses to get cancelled anyway, so it was a good call that we got in line. While we waited, we sat on the floor and formulated a plan to soak our feet and do foot massages upon arrival at our hotel. We are now going to the Yak & Yeti to see if they will let us bump up our 7:30 reservations and squeeze us in sooner.
6:37 pm, EST [4:37 pm, MST]: The people at The Yak & Yeti were very kind and they've seated us early. While we were waiting for the verdict, LadyBug squished a penny in a hand-crank machine. It was fun.
8:03 pm, EST [6:03 pm, MST]: Dinner was absolutely delicious. They were very accommodating in making sure there was no dairy in my food {Sidebar: avoiding dairy at home is a hassle. On vacation, it is double. I have to trust that they are reading labels and not just assuming. So far, OK.}. Mr. Bug and I ate here, too, when we were here a few years back and it was as good as we remembered. We're headed back to the shuttle to take us to the hotel now.
11:58 pm, EST [9:58 pm, MST]: I found a really nice peppermint-y smelling foot lotion in the hotel gift shop. We all soaked our feet in the tub and then I used the lotion to rub our feet. Much better. My headache is gone, I made dining reservations for the rest of our trip and then made some tweaks to our scheduled FastPass selections. Bedtime. It is curious to have jumped two whole time zones forward. I want to get up and going first thing in the morning, but "first thing" here is way before "first thing" at home. And I'm not a morning person to begin with. But after a day filled with walking and more walking, getting to bed "early" doesn't seem to be a problem. But then again, "early" at home is way later than "early" here.

3 comments:

Paulette said...

Another fun day, it sounds like. I have never been to Animal Kingdom but I'd love to go sometime. Enjoying your daily travelogue!

Shay said...

Sounds like you guys are having a blast! Foot massages sound like heaven after a day of being on your feet.

Annelise said...

Oh so fun! And what thorough documentation, with links and everything. I know who I'm going to when we plan a trip! What impressed me most, however, is the picture of you standing with your two not-so-little bugs, particularly your not-even-remotely-little bug son who is a head taller than his mom!!