Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Extreme Makeover: Skirt Edition

I base most of my fashion sense on what doesn't itch. –Gilda Radner

Sunday was the Primary Program. And I made myself a new dress to wear for it. But I wasn't the only girl at our house who needed something new to wear. So after I finished up my dress {late Saturday night/early Sunday morning} I did a little makeover on a skirt I'd picked up for $3 at Wal-Mart for LadyBug. It was totally worth staying up until 3:00 am. Just look at our spunky girl.

LadyBug is a no-frills, no-nonsense kind of girl. I have a hard time finding clothes in general and Sunday clothes in particular that she likes. A while back, we had a few Sundays where she wore pants to church because she refused to wear a dress. We eventually found a little denim skirt {with shorts sewn underneath} in a box of hand-me-downs from her cousin, Miss Butterfly, that she liked to wear to church about 85% of the time. But she's outgrown it. So when I saw a similar skirt, I snapped it up. I knew it was too short, but I already had a plan.

I had some striped denim left-over from a jeans-making experiment back in 1986. Why I still had it, I'm not sure :confused:. But I knew it was around because I'd just gone through stacks of things tucked away in the backs of closets and set it aside in a new stack of things to donate. I was glad I hadn't done that yet. I cut a strip of navy blue broadcloth the width of the fabric and then a piece of denim to match the width of the broadcloth and to my desired length. A few seams, a hem and some gathers later and it was ready to attach at the waist of the skirt. And they'd left me a nice seam allowance to work with. I think it turned out pretty cute {iron malfunctions not withstanding}. It looks a little bit like she's got an apron over top of her skirt.


The skirt's waistband is a little big on LadyBug and the under skirt is a little long, but I'm totally OK with that. It'll prolong the life of the skirt and she can grow into it. Yay! Another October finish :biggrin:.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Looks wonderful...glad she likes it!

Shay said...

Exceedingly talented of you E .

She looks very trendy and unique in that skirt.

whimsyfox said...

That is a great makeover! I would totally wear that!