Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Woody's Tag of Many Colors

I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. –Winston Churchill

I finished the tag for Woody's quilt. I knew that I wouldn't be happy unless I did an embroidered one {see also, ideas that sound good in my head :crazy:}. I used a 4" {finished} square of red flannel in the center and included his name, birthday, time, weight and length, as well as the name of the quilt and who worked on it. Because of the small size of the lettering, I used two strands of floss to do the embroidery so that the thread wouldn't completely overwhelm it, but it kind of settled down into the nap of the flannel and doesn't look very neat and tidy. I think if I'd have used three strands, it would have been too much, so given the working conditions and climate, I think it came out all right.

Here's a close-up of the tag. I blurred out any confidential information and used a graphic to represent where Woody's actual name goes {you didn't think that my kids and nieces and nephews were really named after garden critters, now did you :lol:?}. I used a different font for his name, just to set it apart. It's a little bit wonky, but I think it does the job. And based on the number of hours it took me I'm totally counting it as a finish.

Machine quilting by Karen's Quilting Services

6 comments:

QuiltNut Creations said...

I have to say that your embroidered label is fantastic; I am in awe that you can get all that information in such a small spot and have it all legible; I couldn't manage that lo!

Michelle said...

I think it's perfect!

Barb said...

Your tag is just wonderful!

Shay said...

I think you did a fabulous job E. I certainly wouldnt have attempted it!

Unknown said...

Lovely blog you have.
Your embroidery is fantastic, so clear in such small space! Perfect.
I really enjoyed browsing through your work.
Gina

Jennifer Lovell said...

It looks wonderful to me. Great job.