Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sabbath Songs: I Know That My Savior Loves Me

For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth. –Job 19:25

I'm in the Primary {LDS-speak for children's Sunday school} Presidency {LDS-speak for assigned voluntary service position for keeping the Primary running}. And I just love it. This year in Primary we've been learning about Jesus Christ. Our theme for the year is I Know My Savior Lives, so since January we've been learning songs and teaching lessons about Jesus.

Today is the Primary Program; the culmination of all of our learning with a presentation during Sacrament Meeting {LDS-speak for a congregational meeting} of short speaking parts from all the Primary children about what we've learned in he past 9½ months interspersed with the all songs we've learned. This is the second year that I've been in charge of coordinating/writing/arranging/handling the Primary Program. I hope it goes well.

The hard work is done. The principles have been taught. The songs have been learned. The presentation has been written up and printed into pretty booklets. The parts have been distributed and practiced. The kids have been coached to sit still in their choir seats, not to bounce up and down, or pick their noses, or put their mouths directly on the microphone when it is their turn to speak, and to sing loudly. All we can do now is hope that things go smoothly. My job today is to look pretty {OK, I totally made that up so I could have a reason/deadline to make myself a new dress :biggrin:, which I'll show you tomorrow}, raise and lower the pulpit depending on the height of the kids who will be speaking, keep the really little kids from jumping off the little steps we move to the pulpit so they can even reach it in its lowest position and make sure that everybody takes their turn at the microphone. It should be easy peasy. Like herding cats. I'm not worried at all.

I wish you could all be there {if you're in the neighborhood, church starts at 1:00}. Even if you're not religious, the Primary Program is something to see. Since I can't fly you all in, I want to share the theme song for this year. I have loved being able to sing this with the kids nearly every single week of this year. The song is called I Know That My Savior Loves Me and was written by Tami Jeppson Creamer and Derena Bell and distributed church-wide specifically for use this year in Primary. Each time I hear it, it touches my heart.



A long time ago in a beautiful place,
Children were gathered ‘round Jesus.
He blessed and taught as they felt of His love.
Each saw the tears on His face.
The love that He felt for His little ones
I know He feels for me.
I did not touch Him or sit on His knee,
Yet Jesus is real to me.

I know He lives! I will follow faithfully.
My heart I give to Him. I know that my Savior loves me.

Now I am here in a beautiful place,
Learning the teaching of Jesus.
Parents and teachers will help guide the way,
Lighting my path ev’ry day.
Wrapped in the arms of my Savior’s love,
I feel His gentle touch.
Living each day, I will follow His way,
Home to my Father above.

I know He lives! I will follow faithfully.
My heart I give to Him. I know that my Savior loves me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our primary program was today too. My favorite was when the sunbeams sang Jesus wants me for a sunbeam. They were so cute! I'm sure your's went great and that your new dress is beautiful!

Jennifer Lovell said...

I want to see your new dress.

I'm so glad you posted this song--it was the highlight of our primary program for me this year. It chokes me up. Especially the last line of the first verse.

Kudos to you for all of your hard work in your calling this year. I bet it's tough, and rewarding (I liked your comment about herding cats--something I feel like I do almost every day, ha ha!). Good job, you!