Saturday, April 2, 2011

Mr. Bug's Navy T-Shirt Memory Quilt Update

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. –Elmer Davis

One week before Mr. Bug's birthday {which happens to be two days before Christmas}, I decided that I was going to use all the t-shirts he had from his days in the Navy and make a quilt. I found the perfect fabric to use for the sashing and back and ordered it with hopes of it arriving in time to get at least the quilt top finished but things didn't work out that way. For starters, I ordered the wrong fabric. And the mail was delayed due to Christmas. So the project was put on hold. Mid-way through January, I got going on it again. I got the sashings on the blocks and got half the quilt assembled when I realized that Mr. Bug did not like it.

So we did a little reworking. He went through his trunk and pulled out his old work shirts, dungarees he called them, and we decided that we'd use that for the sashing instead. Did you know that aboard Navy ships, they use salt water and a special kind of detergent in the laundry? I thought that was really interesting. Anyway, he also pulled out some patches and insignias and a couple more sweat shirts and we decided to include them in the quilt. I did not relish the thought of unpicking, so the project was put on hold until I could muster up the courage to do it. When that was finished, I pulled all the buttons of his work shirts and started cutting them apart. The fabric is 100% cotton chambray and it is really nice to work with. It cuts easily and presses up beautifully. I've just about got enough strips for the sashing cut and I still have two complete shirts left, which means I'll have enough strips that are long enough so that the sashing will only have to be pieced for one section were the shirts themselves aren't long enough.

Today I'm going to finalize the layout and placement of all the blocks with the changes. Then I hope to start sewing setting squares to the sashing and the piecing that to the blocks. It will be fun to start moving forward with this quilt again.

5 comments:

Paulette said...

I really like the idea of using the work shirts. It looks look like they're going to work so well. I've relied on my husband's eye on quilts many times. It helps to get that perspective even though it's not always what you want to hear. Can't wait to see it all together!

I can't quite wrap my head around using salt water to wash clothes. Wouldn't it wreck the machine? I'm thinking how salt does a number on cars. Maybe the special detergent neutralizes it somehow. Interesting!

Impera Magna said...

The quilt is going to be beautiful! Please thank your husband for his service to our country!

Shay said...

What a great use for the old shirts. Genius!

Im looking forward to seeing this one done.

Barb said...

What an undertaking...this is going to be such an awesome quilt!

Jennifer Lovell said...

I'm glad you were able to come up with another good option after plan A didn't work out. Lucky! Can't wait to see it done, it's going to be so special.