Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Birthday Quilt S.N.A.F.U.

It is found that anything that can go wrong at sea generally does go wrong sooner or later. –Murphy's Law

I should have know better than to mess with the Navy. Or at least Navy-issue t-shirts :lol:. Besides, the military never does anything in a hurry. Situation normal then, if nothing is coming together for Mr. Bug's birthday quilt, right?

The special fabric I ordered came today. Only it wasn't the Navy print I thought I was ordering.

It was this instead:

The fabrics are nearly identical, so you can see where someone {OK, it was me :rolleyes:} might have mixed the two up if they were in a hurry. Bear Paw does allow exchanges, but only for even yardage and I ordered 4½ yards. I got the fabric after their phone hours, so I sent them an e-mail and I'm crossing my fingers that they'll allow at least a 4 yard exchange and then I'll just purchase the extra half-yard on top. Otherwise, do you know anyone who needs 4½ yards of Air Force fabric?

On a positive note, the red fabric I have and was hoping to use as setting blocks in the corners between the sashings and also as the binding is the perfect shade to go with the flags in the print, so I'm happy I don't have to hunt down something else. So, I won't even have quilt top for Mr. Bug's birthday. But maybe I'll get it done by the new year.

4 comments:

Shay said...

Never mind. Make him a nice IOU and plan for his quilt to be brilliant when it's done. Im sure he'll understand.

How disappointing about the fabric. Hope that all works out for you.

Jennifer Lovell said...

It's the thought that counts! I'm sure the whole story on his birthday will let him know he is loved, and he'll be happy with that. Good luck with the rest of the process.

Michelle said...

Yikes! While I can see how someone could get confused, this is not exactly the same as exchanging one blue blender for another. Most people are pretty picky about their military-related prints. Hope it all works out--even though Mr. Bug's BD present won't be done on time. Maybe a sneak peek of the project on his BD will suffice?

QuiltNut Creations said...

oh no Elizabeth! hope you can get the fabric exchanged. if not, can you work it into the backing maybe?