Monday, December 6, 2010

The One Where Elizabeth Gets A Job

If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way.
–Napolean Hill

Since the downsizing and elimination of Mr. Bug's job at the end of March, the budget at Bug Cottage has been exceedingly tight. Mr. Bug has ventured out into the business world, but the revenue from his business has been less than 2% of our expenses over the last eight months. As our savings have dipped lower and lower I have become more and more anxious. And I finally decided it was time for me to stop lounging about and help with more than just spending the finances.

Of course, not just any job could lure me out of my comfy stay-at-home-mom gig. It had to be the perfect job. So, this summer I thought I'd give Weed Farmer* a try. I'm fond of gardening, weeds seem to grow well and it was something I could do in my own backyard. But as it turns out, that doesn't pay very well and the overalls made my butt look big. Royal Food Tester didn't pan out either; there was some fuss over me not being a naturalized British citizen and refusing to drink the tea. Jim Morrison won't return my phone calls, so Rockstar Developer is out. And there was simply too much paperwork involved in Celebrity Divorcee.

So I decided to go with Executive Assistant. For a job that practically fell into my lap without me really trying, it is pretty perfect. The hours are great, the company is growing, the staff is very nice and the dress-code is casual. And what does the Executive Assistant do there? Whatever the BossMan needs doing. My first official task was to turn up the heat. Only it was one of those digital, programmable thermostats that require 12 hours of on-site training to master. I hope the office isn't a hot house tomorrow morning. After that, the BossMan handed me an ugly yellow notepad and outlined the things he needed for me to do for him that day. It was interesting, to say the least and involved a trip to the bank, collecting contract hours for payroll, vacuuming {I take it back; a Kirby is not just a vacuum}, software training, and a phone call to the actual IRS {most of which was spent on hold}.

And the ugly yellow notepad? Well, apparently everyone has one. But that will never do for the Executive Assistant. I needed something pink. And a little bit sparkly. With an 'E' for Executive. Or Elizabeth. Whichever.

[*Editor's Note: It has been brought to my attention that I was trying to grow the wrong kind of weed(s). No wonder no one wanted to buy them. I suppose I should read the fine print before just diving in.]

10 comments:

Paulette said...

Congrats on the new job! I have no doubt you will quickly become indispensable to the boss man. Girl, if you can't get it done, no one can! How are the bugs adjusting?

(I have to admit that when I read "weed farmer" I thought you meant a different kind of weed. I hear that pays well, but the downside far outweighs any perks, LOL.)

I love that pink notebook. I assume you did the embellishing? It's almost too pretty to write in!

Unknown said...

The notebook is so pretty! And you will be running that place in no time, E! *hugs*

pinksuedeshoe said...

Love the pink sparklyness! Good luck today, I'll be thinking about you and sending happy thoughts your way!

Lane said...

Love your little book. Hope it stays fun for a good long time. Or, that you get to go back to stay at home mom. Lane

Shay said...

Love the notebook. Welcome to the world of working women. It's aq snap once you get used to it. You're already used to juggling 10 things so this should be snap!

Marg said...

Congrats on the new job. It sounds like it will be interesting and varied, always a good thing.

I thought the same as P, for a second or two I was wondering what kind of weed you were farming.

I love the new notebook, very pretty with the sparkly e. Much nicer than ugly yellow.

SueWis said...

Cute notebook! Everyone at work will be soooo jealous. ;)

Michelle said...

Congrats on the new job! Sounds like it won't be boring. :-) And already you're bringing some class to the place with your pink monogrammed notebook.

Jennifer Lovell said...

Wow! Elizabeth, what a brave, bold move, to seek and obtain employment. I'm so proud of you! I know that's a very hard decision to make! Best wishes, I hope it all works out super well for you and your family. I'd love to hear more about it, the good and the bad.

QuiltNut Creations said...

congrats on the job! I'll have to talk to MrMorrison about not returning your phone calls ;)