Saturday, December 4, 2010

Woman's Work: Apron

Aprons don’t hold us back, they take us back.EllynAnne Geisel

I kind of have a thing for aprons. This one is no exception. Look at that adorable baby rick-rack. Aprons with rick-rack are awesome. If you click on the picture for a closer look, you can see that it is stitched on with some pretty yellow embroidery floss. This method of attaching the rick-rack is the genius method of Lori Holt, quilt designer extraordinaire. You'll see rick-rack again later in this quilt, applied using the same cute method.

I'm wondering if I can count this apron towards my total even though no one will actually wear it? I think it took roughly the same amount of time to make as it does to make a wearable life-size apron. Or maybe a smidge more.

This apron is section six of the quilt, and so now I have seven of thirteen sections finished, but not quite half the blocks done {15 out of 31}. I love the huge amount of progress that I have made on it on the last three months. My original goal was to have it finished in six months' time and that might still be possible. For now, this apron has to go back in the box with all my other finished blocks and fabrics for this quilt and be tucked back under my bed because it is time to finally stop procrastinating the Christmas presents. I'm going to do one thing, though, before I put it away for a few weeks. I'm going to sew the scrubbers block to the top of the dustpan block. I was looking over the pattern to see which blocks are coming up next {and then the ones after that} and also had a look over the finishing instructions. Lori has the quilt divided up into groups of blocks when you piece it together and then after you get the groups pieced together, you put them together to make the whole quilt top. The scrubbers and dustpan are next to each other in a group, so I'll be ahead when it comes time for that if I put them together now. Wohoo! After I finish the next section of blocks, I'll be able to sew a whole group together. I'm kind of excited about that. But for now, anything that is not a Christmas present is getting put away. Wish me luck. I think I've procrastinated it exactly the right amount of time to arrive at Christmas Eve completely frazzled and worn out, cursing myself for not starting sooner, and vowing to never procrastinate again.

5 comments:

Shay said...

How big is the quilt block E?

Looking good too. Im getting excited about seeing this whole quilt .

Paulette said...

So, so pretty! Is it weird that I wish I could wear that apron? :)

Jennifer Lovell said...

very pretty! I've always loved that style of apron.

In case I don't get it done right away, you'll have to remind me to tell you about the hilarious dream I had about you last night. Seriously.

Michelle said...

Adorable! And of course it counts. :-)

Tom Peck said...

Love the look of these aprons very cool...