Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Snow Day

There’s one good thing about snow, it makes your lawn look as nice as your neighbor’s. –Clyde Moore

Today is the last day of school before the winter break. We woke up to about 12" of new snow this morning, but around here it takes a major blizzard to call a Snow Day, so we assumed it was business as usual. I helped the Little Bugs get ready for school while Mr. Bug shoveled us out. When they were on their way, I started getting ready for work, dreading the thought of going out in the snow and cold. When I got out of the shower the TV was on, which was unusual. I heard some of the dialogue from the program and wondered why Mr. Bug was watching Bakugan :confused:. And then I realized that today is a Snow Day :lol:.

BossMan's wife just had a baby at the end of November. Which is, in a round-about way, how I got my job. Mrs. BossMan does the accounting at the company I work for and about a week after I started as the Executive Assistant, she decided that she wanted to stay home with her kids. So for a little over a week now I've been learning the accounting software and the filing system and everything that goes with that. Mrs. BossMan is set up at their home to do the accounting, so half of my day is spent with her doing receivables and then I go into the office and do the filing and whatever else needs doing.


Thirty minutes before I was due to arrive at Mrs. BossMan's, she texted me to let me know that she was sick and not to come over today. Still not relishing the thought of going out in the snow, I called BossMan to let him know I was going to be late to the office because I'd planned to go train with Mrs. BossMan first {which is a shorter commute} and what with all the snow {and me not being quite ready to leave early} I'd be a little late getting to the office. Much to my relief, he graciously gave me a Snow Day too. I'm a little giddy at the thought of it. Because frankly, Christmas is really stressing me out this year. I'm not even going to mention that I haven't done one single bit of the shopping for ready-made goods yet. And the Christmas sewing {which I very shamefully procrastinated :blushing: to way past the last minute} is kicking my butt. Everything is in parts and pieces all over the place. My living room sewing studio looks like a fabric bomb went off.

And sadly, Mr. Bug's t-shirt quilt will not be finished in time for his birthday on Thursday. At this point, the best I can hope for is to give him a finished quilt top. I have all of the t-shirt squares ready to go. But the fabric for the back and sashing did not come in the mail yesterday. I have to say this, though. Bear Paw Fabrics is a fabulous on-line establishment. When I called early Friday morning to confirm their shipping procedures, the person I spoke with was very friendly and courteous. And they, indeed, did ship that day. The hold-up was with the Postal Service, which, I'm sure is overloaded with Christmas packages. I'm sure if they knew it was Mr. Bug's birthday two days before Christmas, they would have put my package of fabric at the head of the queue.

So today, I'll be enjoying my Snow Day. I hope to finish up everything that is in progress and while I work, I'll be peeking out the window, watching for the mail truck.

6 comments:

Angie said...

Nice use of a ruler. ;) Seems like you told ME that once. lol I am sure the Omni company would be proud of it's use. :D

Shay said...

I completely get that snow is inconvenient but to us Aussies it all looks so beautiful.

I just mentioned to Mr. P that I'd never thought of the logistics of it though. I'd hate to have to get out and shovel my path just so I could get to my car!

Enjoy your snow day!

pinksuedeshoe said...

Wow, we only got about half that! I'm totally jealous. We had a great time in the snow this morning. Creamie near cried when I told her it was time to go in. So glad you all got a snowday! YAY!

Lane said...

I hope you got a ton of stuff done! Enjoy the snow. It's 80* here today. Not likely that we'll get any snow this week. Sorry bout Mr Bug's quilt. But, hey, it's the thought. Lane

Jennifer Lovell said...

Snow days here make me grouchy, but for you some good sure came of it. Nice! The only thing I like about snow is the cute little (and in this case ginormous) snowmen that can come out of it. Do your kids enjoy playing in the snow?

QuiltNut Creations said...

snow days are the best and sadly we rarely if ever get them.