Monday, March 22, 2010

Frolic

The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary. -Mary Kurtz

Today is supposed to be laundry day. But laundry can't really compete with a squishy in the mail. Since I knew what was in my package, I forced myself to sort and move a load along. And then I tended to the important task of opening my squishy. I got my first jelly roll. And I had to pose it and my other pretties for a picture. You should feel this fabric. It is amazing!


I mentioned that this is my first jelly roll. I've never been interested in jelly rolls. What do you do with a pack of strips that you can't pre-wash and may or may not be cut straight on the grain? But I got caught in the perfect storm. I happened upon instructions for a baby quilt using a jelly roll by Natalia over at Piece N Quilt. I was very intrigued by it. It finally made a jelly roll make sense! Then I got a peek of Frolic by Moda. The rest is history.

I want my Frolic quilt to be a snuggle-up-under-and-read (or watch TV) kind of quilt (rather than for a baby) so I may make it just a bit bigger than the instructions call for. The jelly roll and the solid green will make the quilt top. There is enough green for binding as well, but I'll have to see how the top looks when I get that far, because the striped fabric is a strong contender for binding at this point. The brown with flowers is the back. I think I got an extra ½ yard of that. I also got ½ yard each of the dots, stripes and swirls because I want to do a couple of other projects with this fabulous line. I'm going to make a scripture cover for myself like the ones I made for my kids, only mine will be pieced from the jelly roll. And I want to make an Abbey Bag.

I'm really itching to unroll this baby and get working. I'm a die hard pre-washer, but since it is a bad idea to wash a pre-cut, and these fabrics are all from the same line and they feel so fabulous, I'm going to let it go on this one. That means these fabrics could possibly go straight from the mailbox to my sewing table, no wait time. Instant gratification. Alas, it is past time to make dinner. Trust me, I'd rather be stitchin' than in the kitchen!

So, now that I've dipped my toe in the jelly roll pond, I'm curious about what I've been missing. Tell me about your favorite jelly roll projects. Include a link in your comments if you've got it posted somewhere. I'd love to see!

6 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Oh Elizabeth they are such yummy fabrics......Jelly roll projects I might have to think about that one..

Annelise said...

oh i love those fabrics!! the brown is my favorite. i la la love jelly rolls, i have several quilt patterns and a book or two. i like them because it makes for a quick and easy project.

Annelise said...

ps, i was going to make sams duvet cover with a jelly roll, but couldnt find one i loved, so i cut all the strips instead. (yikes! THAT is one very big reason i prefer jelly rolls!!) i will have to show you, because the pattern was for jelly rolls. i really like the geometric look, though, so it might be a taste preference, too.

QuiltNut Creations said...

i looooooooove jelly rolls and this is a beauty! have fun with your new playthings :)

Kerri said...

You are really feeding the quilting bug in me. Those fabrics are so cute!

Sparkle said...

These fabrics are beautiful!!