Monday, March 15, 2010

More Signs of Spring

One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. -W.E. Johns, The Passing Show

Technically, it is still winter, as the slushy rain and snow we got the day before yesterday proves. But some days, the weather is so inviting it is impossible to stay inside. Today was one of those days. Look at the amazing color on that hyacinth! There is so much life coming up already! In this one little snap shot, there are two bunches of tulips, a daylily, Lamb's Ear, Mums, Jacob's Ladder, Matchstick (I think that's what that grassy-looking stuff is called), and my most favorite Tête-À-Tête Daffodils, a miniature of the narcissus, growing only 6" to 8" tall.

This adorable little daffodil ranks in the top 10 most sold daffodils. And it is no wonder. Tête-À-Tête is an early bloomer, coming up just after the crocuses, heralding in spring in cheery style. This is the biggest bunch in my garden so far. These are planted in the border that runs along the back of my house, and so this bed faces south. There are more of these little beauties in my front gardens, but they'll come up a bit later because they're in shadier spots. I can't wait!

Spring flowers are my favorite. I love to watch the earth change slowly from sleepy and gray to bursting with life and color. I start looking forward to the next spring's show almost the minute the last bulb fades. Last fall, I opted for spring clean-up. I was up to my ears in New Moon Quilt and there wasn't enough time to get everything done. Now that spring is here, I'm afraid that I'm going to miss the show I've been looking forward to for nearly a year because the bulbs are coming in faster than I can clean out the debris from last fall. This year's show promises to be spectacular. This little preview, a tiny daffodil nestled in with a poppy looks to me like just a bit of heaven, right here on earth.

2 comments:

Gigi's Thimble said...

Elizabeth, you have a beautiful space here - literally. Your drawings of your kids are amazing. Your daffodils are so cheerful and I love your quilt blocks in the post below. I wish I had a green thumb. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Amber

Jennifer Lovell said...

Lucky you, that you get to experience such beauty every time you look outside towards your realm of hard-outdoor-work. That's a fun little collection of dirt treasures!