Thursday, May 20, 2010

Muse

And thanks also to my favorite band, the very aptly named Muse, for providing a saga's worth of inspriation. -Stephenie Meyer, excerpt from the dedication in Breaking Dawn

Muse is one of Stephenie Meyer's favorite bands, as referenced above. Music inspired her writing and she put playlists up on her site that contained all of the songs that inspired her writing. Muse is featured prominently on those lists. Muse is also featured on both the Twilight and New Moon movie soundtracks. They will again be featured on the upcoming Eclipse soundtrack. The first song released from the album is Neutron Star Collision (Love is Forever).



In the weeks shortly after reading the Twilight books I was completely obsessed with Twilight, hungry for anything I could find that related to it, so I listened to each Stephenie's playlists (she used to have acutal playlists available for listening, now has since changed to just an index of the songs) and wrote down my favorites. Although her playlists were filled with songs from the band, I only really fell in love with a couple of the Muse songs on the book playlists. Music has to really speak to me, it has to get inside my head and find a place in my soul for me to really love it and the Muse songs on her lists didn't do that for me. I'm thinking that I maybe need to go back and listen to those songs again because I've since found some other music by Muse that does really speak to me and wanted to share those favorites with you. They are listed in order of preference (although I had a hard time placing the top three and it might be a tie between them for first place) and are linked to the corresponding official Muse videos. I've left the song from the New Moon soundtrack off because I couldn't find an official video. That song is called I Belong to You (New Moon Remix).

Uprising
Undisclosed Desires
Supermassive Black Hole (from the Twilight Soundtrack)
Sing for Absolution (from the New Moon book playlist)
Unintended (alternate on the New Moon book playlist)

No comments: