Saturday, June 18, 2011

I Must Ask . . . Did You Go To Your High School Reunion?

There's a big world out there. Bigger than prom, bigger than high school , and it won't matter if you were the prom queen or the quarterback of the football team or the biggest nerd. –Unknown

I went with Mr. Bug to his 20-year high school reunion eight years ago. He was really excited to go and so we went. My 20-year reunion is in seven weeks. But I'm not sure if I'm even interested in going. I mean, high school wasn't that great the first time. Who wants to go back?

I haven't been to any of my class reunions. I registered and paid for my 5-year reunion. I was single, happy, confident and totally OK with going alone. I started dating Mr. Bug after I registered and he asked me to do something else the weekend of the reunion, so I didn't mind skipping. At the 10-year reunion, we moved just after the registration information came and it was lost in the shuffle and I missed the deadline. I obviously wasn't too worried about going then either.

So now it is the big 20-year reunion and I'm not sure whether I want to go. There are some people I would like to see, but I have to wonder if the jocks will still be jocks and the cheerleaders will still be cheerleaders and the nerds {me} will still be nerds and if the people I would love to see again will even be there?



I'm happy with my life and who I am, but I wonder if it is like when you go home to visit family and everyone falls back into their roles as oldest child, middle child, youngest child, red-headed step-child. Will the person I was back then hinder my confidence and make going a miserable experience? Or will it be lots of fun to see old friends? As a side note, where did the last twenty years go?

Today, I must ask: did you go to your high school reunion? I'm interested in hearing if you attended any of them {not just your 20th} and what your experience {good or bad} was.

Last week, I asked about favorite seasons. Spring won by quite a large margin, and surprisingly winter tied with fall for second favorite. In all honesty, I have to say that there is something that I love about each season and hearing what you love about your favorite season swayed me a little towards choosing that season as my favorite. Thanks for voting and sharing with me.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to the 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th year reunions. I haven't gone to the rest of them -20, 25, 30,35,and 40. I only went to see my friends from high school that lived out of town. With email, etc, I keep in touch that way. I don't see the need to go to reunions anymore.
cindy

Mommarock said...

Well, you are beautiful, and have a wonderful family so who cares what everyone else from back then really thinks.. it doesn't really affect your life. I have not been to my High School reunion. I was friends with everyone during High School, a jock.. in the top 10 % of my class, and I still could care less. It has been hmmm 27 years.. (wow a moment for the shock of that number to wear a little). What they are doing or what they think won't change the fact that I am happy at this moment.

Paulette said...

I've gone to all of mine (5th through 30th a couple years ago). The 5th was boring, the 10th was a blast, and all the ones since then have been fun in one respect or another. I was never in the "in" crowd, was one of the more nerdy kids (the "brain" as I was known then), but I still had a nice time. After the 5th reunion, I left my husband at home (to his great relief), and that trend seems to have caught on. At the last reunion, most classmates went solo. It's nice not having to worry about your spouse being bored while you yak it up with people you knew. My advice? Go!

Shay said...

I dont think reunions are really all that big here . Im pretty sure nobody has organised one from my old high school for the class I went to school with.

If they did- I wouldnt go. If I wanted to know how people were doing I'd be in contact with them. Wow I sound horrible but thats just the way I feel.

QuiltNut Creations said...

My 20th is this year as well and so far I'm leaning towards not going. Did not enjoy my 10th at all(same cliques as high school. don't people grow up?); I don't want it to be a repeat of our 10th.

Nancy said...

I have gone to ALL of my high school reunions. When I went to the 5th, everyone was still in their cliques and I didn't enjoy it. 10th came and went with nothing planned but I had lost a lot of weight and wanted a reunion!!! So, I got a group of people together and we have been planning the reunions ever since. I must say I am so happy I do that because I have been able to re-connect with and make old and new friends. After I retired I traveled with one of the most special friends and cemented a wonderful friendship. So glad I did because sadly he died last year. I wouldn't give up the time I spent with him for anything. If I had not attended reunions, it never would have happened.

Ruthie said...

I didn't go to my 10th or 20th, but did attend my 25th as a recently divorced single mom. I was asked to dance by a classmate that I didn't know and we had a great time. 9 Months later, I quit my job, rented out my house and moved 1,000 miles to Colorado to be with him, when my youngest joined the military. We moved back to Indiana 2 years later and are married now. There were over 700 in our graduating class, so I didn't know lots of my classmates.

Jennifer Lovell said...

I don't think we had a 5-year reunion. I wasn't able to go to my 10-year reunion because we were on the other side of the country (NJ-NV...too expensive to travel for us at that time). I neglected to mark "other year", but wondered if you would want to count that we had a partial-reunion when one of our high school friends got married, and she invited all the members of the old jazz choir to come sing at her reception. That was a lot of fun! I wasn't a cheerleader, or a "popular" person (I don't think), but I did have a great circle of friends in that choir, and it was just super fun to see them again (I think this was about 7 years after graduation). Everyone seemed mostly the same. I was happy to see that almost everyone seemed even better looking than I remembered--as if we had all improved with age. I thought that was cool.

I am planning to go to my 20th, even though--of course, I'll have to travel from the other side of the country (pooh). I guess I'll have to start saving my pennies now.

I think you should go. It should be fun.

Jennifer Lovell said...

P.S. Mommarock's comment rocks. Elizabeth, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. They're probably all too busy thinking about themselves anyway to affect anyone else.

Michelle said...

I've never gone to a high school reunion. Next year would be the 30 year. Nope. No way.

Sandra Coleman Clarke said...

i love going to my reunions. I went to a small high school and classes were small. The girls in my class now get together yearly for lunch and may spend the weekend next time. Recently my sister and I attended our other sister's 50th reunion and we all had a blast. I vote for you to go.

Angie said...

I would have gone but apparently my school sucks as much now as it did then so we didn't have one. We did have a picnic thing at the park at 10 years but only like 20 people showed up.

Jill said...

I missed this post!
So I went to my 5th. It was lame. We had pizza in the cafeteria and there were peanuts on the table. I paid $20 I think!! We hung out for a bit, and a few of the class officers were doing video interviews.
This year is my 10th, but the advertising sucked!! I saw a friend's mother the other day, and she asked me if I WENT. Past tense. Meaning I missed it. I wasn't sure if I was going to go or not, but, I guess I don't have to choose anymore!!