Thursday, June 9, 2011

I Must Ask . . . What Is Your Favorite Season?

Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each. –Henry David Thoreau

Where I live, we enjoy the four seasons, each in its extreme. Winter brings cold and snow; spring, a renewal of life; summer, the need for air conditioning to keep from melting to the sidewalks; and fall, the turning of the leaves and the earth quietly going to sleep for another winter. Of those four seasons, winter is my least favorite and I could skip it every year. Some people who live around here do. They're called 'snow birds' and they have winter homes in the southern part of the state, where it stays pretty mild. I love the fun that summer brings and autumn is definitely beautiful as all the leaves change color as they burn out their last bit of life.

For me, spring is my favorite season. I love spring. The weather is mild, the days get longer and the earth is comes to life. Long-forgotten plants push up through the ground and bloom anew. Spring is really a miracle.

And not to miss an opportunity to show off my peonies, here's what is blooming today. This is called Bowl of Beauty, and it really lives up to its name. Not only is it nice to look at, it smells beautiful as well.

There are three different peony plants here. In the bottom right corner is Karl Rosenfield. The pretty pink blooms in the center are Alexander Fleming {named after the man who invented penicillin} and the dark pink bud in the back that is just starting to open is one that I picked up from a neighbor. She didn't know the name of it and I haven't been able to tell for sure what kind it is {there are about a zillion different peonies, and unless you write down what they are when you get them, you'll never remember which is which}. Behind them are some pretty peachy irises.

Now that I've shown you why spring is my favorite, I must ask . . what is your favorite season?

Last week, we did eye color. Hazel and blue tied for the lead. I have to say, I really like having blue eyes. Thanks to everyone who voted!

13 comments:

pinksuedeshoe said...

Winter hands down. Then fall, then spring, and I really don't like summer much at all. Too many thigns are growing and I'm allergic to all of them!

Anonymous said...

Spring and fall are equal in my book. Are you doing okay? You have been in my thoughts.

yorkie mom said...

I love Fall! everything about it!!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Fall is my favorite. I love the colors and it means our temps will finally be cooling down after a long hot summer.

Paulette said...

Summer. The season of no coats, and walks in the evening as the sun goes down and the warm air wraps around you like a gentle hug. Farmer's markets and fruit stands. Flowers and other lush, growing things. Thunderstorms. Crickets and fireflies. Backyard grilling and outdoor parties.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to say Spring as my favorite. Summer is usually too hot, winter is too cold, and autumn there are too many leaves to rake. So that leaves spring.
cindy

Shay said...

Spring is my favourite too Elizabeth. I love the warm weather and pretty things that pop up after a dull and dreary winter.

Then Summer , Autumn and winter in that order!

Paulette said...

By the way, your peonies are just gorgeous. What a variety!

Annelise said...

growing up in New England, fall will forever be my favorite season. nothing ive seen since compares with it, but i still love the crisp cool and beautiful colors that remind me and make me long for "back home."

Michelle said...

Beautiful peonies! Like you, spring is my favorite.

Jennifer Lovell said...

Can I just say, NOT winter?

If I had to choose one favorite, I might choose spring, because it means I survived the winter. 2nd place is summer, because I love feeling warm. I do love at least one thing about each season though. Fall because of Eugene's pink fallen leaves, and even winter, because I can warm up in fuzzy soft sweaters, pajamas, blankets, socks, and slippers : ).

Angie said...

I am from a place that had no seasons so I didn't really understand the facination with them. Now that I live in the mountains, the change of seasons amazes me! The perfect cycle of the whole design of it is a work of art. I would have to say that I love fall the most. WNC is famous for the changing of the leaves, people come from all over the world to see it...that is our 'tourist season'. lol

Jill said...

Totally missed this post. But I love fall and spring. Summer is fantastic because of all the stuff you get to do (esp. 'cause my hubby's home in the summer) but it's not my fav. 'cause it gets too hot.