Friday, February 10, 2012

Favourite Things Friday: My Gingher Seam Ripper

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. –Abraham Maslow

First, a little shameless self-promotion. The February Finishes Linky Party is open all month long! If you've finished a project that involves stitching of some sort {appliqué, crochet, cross-stitch, embroidery, knitting, practical sewing, quilting}, click on over and link up. Then check out what other clever people are up to. Did I mention there is a giveaway? Details are on the post.

Now, on to the favourite thing for this week. Using a seam ripper is not necessarily my favourite thing. As a matter of fact, I have a strict, “I don't unpick {unless absolutely necessary} policy. But when I do need one, it is nice to have the right tool for the job.

The story goes like this; a couple of years ago, my cute friend, Iris, gave me a Bet-A Seam Ripper. I loved the sharp, curved blade. It made unpicking so much more pleasant, if unpicking can be pleasant. There were two things that I didn't like about it, though. The handle is so small it isn't comfortable to use. And the little cap falls off all the time, leaving the blade exposed. Not too long ago, I lost it :Unhappy:. Just the ripper. I still have the lid. I went back to using the 99₵ plastic-handled seam rippers, but they just weren't cutting it {pun totally intended. I kill myself with the puns :rofl:}. So I started searching for a replacement. After some research on the old internet, I came to the conclusion that the Gingher Seam Ripper was the one for me. Just look at this beauty.


I could go on and on about it, but the Gingher people said it best:
Gingher's seam ripper features a razor edged cutting blade that safely retracts when not in use. The handle is ergonomically balanced to provide the user with fine cutting control in numerous positions. This tool is beautifully finished with chrome over nickel and comes in its own storage box. With proper use and care, the blade should last a lifetime and is covered by Gingher's guarantee.

If ever there were a seam ripper to enjoy using, this is it! I'm off to do a little sewing, and if I'm lucky, maybe I'll get to use my new seam ripper.

Today's post brought to you by:

8 comments:

seabreezequilts said...

Wonder if I can get one of those down here, always on the look out for a sewing gadget.

thea said...

nice favorite .. if seam ripping can be considered a favorite. The seam ripper is so different .. nice.

Becky said...

That's one sweet-looking seam ripper! Need to get one of those beauties! I also LOVE my Gingher super-sharp scissors--absolutely my fave. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

Michelle said...

Now that's a seam ripper and a half! I didn't know there was anything better than our classic old standard. Very cool!

Paulette said...

I didn't know Ginger made rippers, but I sure do love their shears, so I would imagine this is the cat's...claw? ;)

Shay said...

I have about 5 seam rippers and they get a lot of use. I'm thinking if I had a seam ripper like this I wouldn't want to pull my hair out quite so much .

I'll have to see if I can get one!

whimsyfox said...

Ooooh me likey! I agree with your assesment of the bet-a-seam. It drives me nuts how the cap falls off so easily. I'll have to check this one out since it has the razor sharp edge, which is what I like about the bet-a-seam.

Unknown said...

I realize this is an old post but in case anyone is still using the Bet-A-Seam Ripper - there is a slot on one side of the lid and if you put the back side of the ripper into that slot, it does not fall off at all. I carry one in my bag at all time and never have a problem. The Gingher ripper looks pretty cool - I may have to look for one of those.