Saturday, February 18, 2012

Friday Night Sew-In

When we seek to discover the best in others, we somehow bring out the best in ourselves. –William Arthur Ward

I haven't done Friday Night Sew-In for ages. Not that I haven't been sewing on Friday nights, because I usually am. But I don't usually think to link up. I had big plans for last night. I did the ditch quilting on the polka-dot quilt.

I used water soluble thread because I really like the stability that ditch quilting provides, but I don't want this particular quilt divided up by that stitching when it is done. After I finish the decorative quilting and run it through the wash, the stitches in the ditch will disappear. But while I'm quilting they will keep the quilt nice and stable. Hooray! I'm excited to finally be quilting this quilt. And now that the ditch work is done, I can start with the fun stuff. I'm actually off to work on that now.

Today's post brought to you by:

Handmade by Heidi

10 comments:

Michelle said...

That quilt is just full of whimsy! What fun. :-)

Richard Healey said...

That quilt looks cool. Not so sure about sewing all those curves but one of these days I am just going to have to give it a try.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com
Stop by for my quilt givaway to guess my babys b-day and weight.

Anonymous said...

I like the color choices and can't wait to see it, in full view. This is ambitious quilting, with all those curves & it looks perfect! :)

Jennifer Lovell said...

water soluble thread--what a great invention!

Shay said...

What are the dohickeys on the pins? Some wonderful invention that makes basting more accurate? I could do with something like that.

I do love this quilt Elizabeth...

hueisei said...

I loves to see your polka dots fabrics.. So colorful!! :)

Nicole said...

I'm a big fan of water soluble thread too! It works wonders.

Teresa F. said...

I love your quilt but i didn't know soluble thread even existed. Thanks for the tip.

Paulette said...

What a great quilt. Water soluble thread, eh? Does it melt with just a spritz, or do you need to get it pretty soaking wet, like go through the washer?

pinksuedeshoe said...

OK, totally on board with the melting thread. One of the things on my 30 list is to quilt my own something. I will probalby put it off till the night before my birhtday next year, but I love the idea of being able to wash out those foundation/stabilizing stitches I'm sure I'll need. (Clearly, I'm just catching up on blogs....)