Friday, February 17, 2012

Favourite Things Friday: Royal M China, circa 1959

Occasionally we all inherit, or are given, or get something or some things that are too good to use for a variety of seemingly sound but really quite silly reasons—they’re heirlooms or too rare or too expensive or too fragile or too pretty. The result is heirloom linen handed down from generation to generation that falls apart when some benighted heiress decides to air it. While I’m glad that past generations saved some things we now enjoy, we are enjoying them by using them instead of carefully storing them for our kids—in turn to store. Unused beautiful things are a waste. –Malcolm Forbes

There is an elderly lady who attends my ward {congregation} whose husband passed away several months ago. Sunday-before-last, during Relief Society {Women's Sunday School} the leader who was conducting announced that the woman was moving and had a nice set of 12 dishes she'd like to give away. I'm not sure what came over me, but I heard “12 place-settings” and I said “yes, please!” My hand went up like a shot.

And then I felt a little guilt. Not enough to not take the dishes, mind you. But I wondered if perhaps someone else who didn't have a set of china could have used these dishes? My grandpa gave me my grandma's beautiful set of Noritake Pasedena, to which I've added more pieces. I love it and use it all the time. I think I was secretly hoping that this new set of old china would match my old set of old china so I could have 20 matching place settings. But it didn't. So now I have two sets and I don't think it is superfluous at all. Well, maybe just a tiny bit. But I'm in love with those pretty blue flowers and now that I've got these dishes in my possession, I can't bear to let them go.

I don't know much about vintagey things. The mark on the bottom says Royal M by Saji and the pattern name is Liege. I googled and couldn't find much at all about the Royal M company, which is a disappointment. I do know that the woman these pretty dishes came from got them in 1959. And that's about all I know about them, except that they are beautiful and have already had a turn at Sunday dinner. We'll be switching off every Sunday and special occasions. The Little Bugs think it is awesome to eat of china on Sunday and remind me if I forget and set the table with our regular dishes.

Today's post brought to you by:

15 comments:

Barb said...

I just love your dishes!!

Anonymous said...

I've seen that dish before...but can't remember who it is that has or had them. Seems like a neighbor girl friend...maybe. I'll ask her & let you know.
I really love, that you've already used them and I think, the dear ole lady is liking that too!

Paulette said...

They are sweet! And in very, very good condition for being over 50 years old. It makes me happy to hear that you've enjoyed using them already. And even though they don't match your other ones, maybe they would mix & match well together, if you had to feed a bigger group? Anyway, nothing wrong with speaking up when the opportunity arose. They've found a good home!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Lovely dishes! I love the older china too~ and such fun to use them on Sunday. Have a happy weekend!

Helsie said...

Sounds like you will get lots of pleasure out of these dishes.
Cheers

Impera Magna said...

You're very right about using "good things".... need to enjoy our pretty things now... makes the kids feel special and grown up to use them!

Canadian Abroad said...

Great FTF and yes, good china should be used or why bother having it?!

Jennifer Lovell said...

That's so neat that your family gets to enjoy such pretty dishes every Sunday, and I love that your kids notice it and appreciate it. Makes me want to do that, too! We don't have any special dishes. We do have special blue-glass glasses though, that we bring out on special occasions, that were given to us for our wedding. I'm glad you get to enjoy your special dishes so much.

Anonymous said...

Those are really pretty. I love dishes too. I have a set I inherited from my grandfather's sister. She was born sometime before 1920 and died in her 80's. When she died we found a hope chest full of the dishes and embroidered linens all never used since she never married. It makes me sad that she didn't use her nice things.

Suzanne said...

How special that this china went to someone who will really treasure it. I commend you for using it each Sunday.

Shay said...

It's beautiful. I'm common as muck because we never eat off of anything so pretty.

I adore old china and spent considerable time collecting a tea set for my sister about 6 years ago so I'm well versed in the frustration of not being able to identify a piece or collection to my satisfaction.

Enjoy your Sunday dinners. I know you'll treasure this set.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Your dishes are beautiful and I am sure their previous owner would be thrilled to know they are going to be loved and used so well.

Unknown said...

I love my "vintage" china.... it's irreplaceable since the bank where I 'earned' it is closed! I love it and can't part with it, even tho is carefully boxed and bagged in the basement. One of these days, I'm having a girls luncheon and will get it back out.

Yours is loverly!

Amber said...

My mom has this same China. . . . and she got it when I was a little girl. I remember her being so excited about this box that was unopened at the foot of her bed (she was waiting until mother's day to open it). We waited and waited in anticipation to see what it possibly could have been. I'll admit that I was a little disappointed when it was JUST dishes.

Now I wish I had nice china, and I LOVE setting the table, especially when I have a reason to set it and eat.

hardhatcat said...

I used to love it when visiting my Grandpa on a Sunday and eating off the "special" plates. I was lucky that when he passed away my mum made sure that I inherited that set. I've since added many pieces to it and love it. It comes out on special occasions such as Christmas etc, but not as often as it used to now that there is a toddler in the house.
Mine are "Sylvania" by J & G Meakin