Friday, June 17, 2011

Grandma Week Day 4: Hogle Zoo

If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to the man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth. –Chief Seattle of the Suquamish Tribe, letter to President Franklin Pierce

Our last day of Grandma Week was spent at the zoo. The weather was beautiful, barely 70˚ with a light breeze to keep us all comfortable. The kids had a great time!

My favorite animal at the zoo is the giraffe. I'm not sure if it is their tallness, or their grace, or the cool pattern on their skins. Maybe it is their tongues, which are long for reaching for leaves and blue to keep from getting sunburned. My kids have almost grown out of saying those funny things that kids say, so I was amused when Grasshopper provided the quote of the day when he said, A sitting giraffe. Simple, yet effective.

There is so much to see at the zoo, we hardly knew where to go and what to do next. We were there just after opening and stayed nearly to close. We watched the animals. We rode the Conservation Carousel and the Zoo Train. We went to the World of Flight Bird Show. We snacked, we laughed, we visited. We had a really great time. I tried to pack as much as we did at the zoo into this one photo. It was a busy, fun day.

My mom did a really great job with the activities for Grandma Week this year. The kids just loved it and I really loved watching the kids love it. This is our fourth year and I hope that we keep this tradition for a good many years to come.

3 comments:

Shay said...

You had perfect weather ! It's almost like nature turned it all on so you could enjoy this week to the max.

I've enjoyed reading about the adventures of grandma week so much.

QuiltNut Creations said...

I want to go to Grandma's week next year!

Jennifer Lovell said...

I'm with you on the giraffe love. I think for me it's mostly their cool pattern, and--have you ever seen them run around? When we went through a safari-drive-through thing on the East Coast once, we saw a couple of baby giraffes running and kicking their legs in the air just for fun (with their funny bent-backwards knees). It was the cutest thing.

You know I love the Hoggle Zoo. Remember when you and I took our babies there (I think it was just Clark and Grasshopper, right?)? I have lots of fun pictures of people squished into that huge egg--so much fun.

How have you been making these very cool photo collages for your blog? Is it a blog setting, or something you work out outside of the blog and then adding it separately?