Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Snowball Night: Week 53

A deadline is negative inspiration. Still, it's better than no inspiration at all. –Rita Mae Brown

After five months, I have two of my four Ph.D Challenge quilts finished. You might wonder what I've been doing all this time. In a addition to the two Ph.D quilts, I have made four other quilts, start to finish, as well as a handful of other projects. It is down to the wire now. I have 30 days to finish the last two for my Ph.D challenge. It will be tight, but I think I can do it.

My sister-in-law once called me a 'sleeper.' We were playing a game {SingStar or something} and she noted how I always seem to come out of no where and make a big finish. I think 'sleeper' is an apt description of me. When I go bowling, I usually don't get warmed up until the end of the first game. I move slowly in the morning and evenings are my best time of day. I get more done at the end of a week than I do at the beginning. Now, I'm hoping to get more Ph.D quilts done in the last month of the challenge than I did in the first five.

Yesterday, I pulled out my snowball quilt. I decided to join the quilt-along one year ago. Two weeks later, I had decided to make two snowball quilts. I finished the first quilt by late July and gave it to my sister as a wedding gift. I worked on the second quilt, the one for me, sporadically through the summer and by mid-September it had been archived. When I was thinking of which quilts I'd like to finish for the challenge, this was the first one that popped into my head. And I'm just getting back to it.

I got my tag ready to embroider:

And I pieced the snowballs into rows.

I'm off to see if I can get the top put together. I've got a secondary motivation to get this quilt finished. It is quilt show season and I want to enter this quilt.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Elizabeth, it's going to be beautiful!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Woo Hoo, I havent got any of my 3 done yet, I am like you, I have finished many others from start to finish, but now it is down the the end, so gotta get really busy! Got 2 of the 3 pinned and ready to roll, the 3rd top is done as well, so it shouldn't be too hard for me to finish, just have to put my mind to it!

Paulette said...

Ditto what Michelle said!

Just from reading your blog, you do seem like a big finisher, or a sleeper as your sister-in-law put it. I like that about you! :)

QuiltNut Creations said...

go Elizabeth go!!

Barb said...

Oh...just love these and the colors...

Shay said...

If it looks half as gorgeous as the one you made your sister you'll be jumping over the moon with joy. That last quilt was fantastic.

Good Luck with your race to the finish line!

Mom said...

I love the colors! One more great quilt under way and soon to be finished by you! way to go Elizabeth! I don't know how you do it.