Thursday, June 30, 2011

I Must Ask . . . Miracle Whip or Mayo?

There's no accounting for taste.English Proverb

Growing up, my sister and I would get into my Grandma's fridge, open up the jar of Miracle Whip and lick the inside of the lid. Two things about that; first, this was something that we could only get away with at Grandma's. We never did it at home. Second, Ewww! Gross! I hope that she threw the jar away after we'd been there. And now that I think about it, perhaps that is why there was always a bit of Miracle Whip on the lid. A bit of cause and effect? She always had a new jar in the fridge because we kept licking the lid and she kept having to throw them out.

Though it would seem that I liked the taste of Miracle Whip, I considered it a necessary evil. When it came to spreading sandwiches, I would scrape some onto the bread and then scrape it right back off. Then I'd put copious amounts of mustard on the sandwich to cover up the taste. And as far as I knew, Miracle Whip and mayonnaise were the same thing. Or possibly, mayo was even grosser than Miracle Whip. So it was with much protestation that I bought my first jar of mayonnaise, at Mr. Bug's request, after we were married. It was then that I discovered that there is a huge difference between Miracle Whip and mayonnaise and that mayo is superior in every way. My mom still keeps Miracle Whip in her fridge, but I am definitely Team Mayonnaise. And I definitely do not like the tangy zip of Miracle Whip.

And now, I must ask . . . Which do you prefer? Miracle Whip or mayonnaise?

Last week, I asked about favorite colors. Not one single person picked yellow as their favorite. Blue and Green tied for first as stand-alone colors and all colors made a three-way tie for first. Pink & Red tied for second. Awesome. Thanks for voting!

I love reading your comments and meant for this little series to be a sort of virtual chat, where I reply to your comments and we discuss our answers. However, work, summer, my quilting addiction and life in general are kicking my butt lately and I have 117 unresponded to comments in my e-mail inbox. Please keep commenting, with the knowledge that I am reading and intend to reply, but that reality gets in the way. A lot.

Next week, I think we'll look at butter vs. margarine. I have this to say about that; I trust cows more than I trust chemists. Can you guess which is my spread of choice?

8 comments:

pinksuedeshoe said...

That is hilarious. When I was a little girl I would suck honey out of the honey bear like it was a bottle. And I'm sure no one ever knew, my mother least of all. Ha!

As for butter v margarine... well it all depends on it's application. I actually prefer butte flavored crisco for baking most things, it gives them that crispy on the outside, but still soft and fluffy on the inside that butter just can't do. Anyway.... I have more on the bVm debate... I'll save that for next week.

And about those emails... I just moved more than 200 into my archives last night. I figure it's ridiculous to try and respond to comments from 2 or 3 months ago. IT was very freeing.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I'm not going to vote because I don't care for either Mayo or Miracle Whip - lol!!

Jennifer Lovell said...

I like both Miracle Whip and mayonnaise. They're both yummy. Although, I generally choose the low-fat mayo out of my fridge if I feel my sandwich needs moistening, even though it's pretty much tasteless (it's the calorie-counter in me).

Paulette said...

Like you, I grew up with Miracle Whip in the house, never mayo. Married a strictly mayo guy and have converted. Since I can't eat dairy products anymore, I've discovered mayo with horseradish stirred in is fabulous on a baked potato!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

growing up we always had miracle whip, i can't eat it now that I am an adult, gives me heartburn. It is pretty much the only thing that does. Mayo on everything. Mix it with ketchup, Heinz Ketchup only, and you have a wonderful dip for fries too, or a spread for sandwiches. My dad still does miracle whip unless he comes to my house, he tried to tell me once mayo will kill me, when we went to the store, I showed him both labels side by side, and he was very surprised, that miracle whip was the worst out of the two. I do lite Hellmans, or Blue Ribbon.

As for pinksuedeshoe's comment, butter always. If I want chemicals in my food I will go look in the garage, not the fridge. growing up we were always given margarine, because it was cheaper. grandma always had real butter from food stamps, i loved going to grandmas, i would eat a whole loaf of bread making butter toast in one weekend, and get yelled at everytime for eating grandmas butter. Oh how I loved my butter!! Still do too.

Shay said...

Yep-we were a miracle whip house when I was a kid. When I moved out of home I thought that WAS mayo. Until I tried actual mayo and now I wont eat Miracle Whip...blerk.

Cant wait for the butter vs margarine debate next week..

Jill said...

I used to think that Mayo was disgusting. I'd never actually tried it of course. We were a Miracle Whip house. But now, depending on what it is, I prefer Mayo, too. I love M.W. on tuna fish, but a breaded chicken sandwich needs mayo. But if it's a freezer chicken pattie, I'd probably use the M.W.
My first time (grudginly) using mayo was in the kitchen at Lagoon. I ordered a breaded chicken sandwich and they (of course) only had little mayo packets. Turns out, it's not so wretched after all.
I often buy a small jar of each mayo and M.W., although currently, there is only M.W. in my fridge.

Michelle said...

I'm definitely a Mayo person, but like you, I grew up with Miracle Whip. It wasn't until I was well into adulthood that I tried Mayo and discovered I liked it. :-)