Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Snowball Quilt № 2: Finished At Last!

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. –Henry van Dyke

93 Snowball blocks made from fabric pulled from stash: free
{45 baby, 48 regular}

903 Seams: 25± man hours

723 Sashing Swirls: 7 man hours

192 Corner Curlicues: 6 man hours

1700 yards of quilting thread: $11.43
Batting and backing: $16.30
Total Machine Quilting time: 35± man hours

7 yards of double-fold bias binding: 3 man hours

Making a quilt start to finish: Priceless

Posts about the creation of this quilt:
A Quilt-Along
How One Quilt Became Two
The First Snowball Quilt Finished
Work Begins on the Second Quilt
Update 1
Update 2
Update 3
Back at it After A Long Break
Construction Nearly Completed
Preparing For Machine Quilting
Machine Quilting in Progress
Machine Quilting Almost Finished
Snowball Quilt Tutorial

Today's post brought to you by:
My 2011 Finishes Myra's Ph.D Challenge

21 comments:

Barb said...

Your quilt is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fun and adorable!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Beautiful quilt! Very interesting little facts about the quilt, too :)

Paulette said...

Oh, wow. WOW! It's GORGEOUS!!

I am blown away by the quilting. All those curlicues! Feathers! Awesome work!

I absolutely love the photo on the chair.

Angie said...

That is perfection!

I love that you did all the math! ;)

Lane said...

Way, WAY COOL! I love it and what you did with it. But, I think you and I might be the only ones that count the yards of thread. Lane

pinksuedeshoe said...

E, this is amazing. Truly a beautiful quilt! And I am completely floored that you quilted it yourself. AMAZING!

Shay said...

Completely magnificent! It's a work of art and perseverance and patience and gorgeous to boot!

I bet you're thrilled . You're keeping this one for yourself arent you?

I'm in awe of your utter brilliance Elizabeth.

Jennifer Lovell said...

Amazing.

Annelise said...

BEE-YOO-TEE-FULL!!! you can see every ounce of love put into that masterpiece. amazing.

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful!

Michelle said...

Beautiful! You've chosen such yummy colors. :-) And the scroll work quilting ~ perfect!

Larri said...

I'm totally blown away by the fact that you had all those perfectly coordinating fabrics in your stash. LOL It's stunning...and I wanna be able to machine quilt like you! Just love it. Well done, bloggy friend! ☺

Thanks for sharing. Happy Friday! ☺

Carla said...

I've never really broken it down that way before. But it give me something to think about.

Your quilt came out awesome! I love the fabrics and the quilting is amazing!

trish said...

Your quit is absolutely beautiful!!

Threeundertwo said...

All those curlicues! What a labor of love. This is such an interesting breakdown. Congratulations on a beautiful finish and thanks for joining in on Finished for Friday!

p.s.phyllis sews said...

Love your post...how you have broken down the quilt to the stats! That's funny and yes, priceless....the fabrics you chose are so beautiful! Very well done!

QuiltNut Creations said...

it is fabulous Elizabeth! congrats on the finish!

Kelly @ Vintage Fabric Studio said...

What a finish! Well worth every minute right! I love that you documented the hours and cost, but it is such a labor of love. Your quilt is so beautiful! Congrats on a keepsake!

Cille said...

What a wonderful and fun quilt :)

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Absolutely beautiful and the quilting is amazing!

Richard Healey said...

That quilt is fantastic. The first snowball quilt I saw I thought ugh I do not like that. You have given new life to what I thought was a boring quilt. Thank you for your answer (oh wait still reading that post going to go back and read more maybe you will get a few comments out of me tonight).


http://richardquilts.blogspot.com