Monday, February 8, 2010

A Lovelly Table Runner

The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart. -Elisabeth Foley

For Christmas I made a table runner for a very dear friend of mine. Her last name is Lovell and she loves hearts. I ran across a cute Paper Pieced Heart Alphabet by Kathleen Potvin quite some time back and decided about July or so, that I wanted to make a table runner using that alphabet. I pulled a deep plum Moda Essentials Dots from my stash and worked from there. I was able to find some very beautiful coordinating fabrics, one in a lighter plum and a second green with the two colors of plum flowers. I went with a pretty ivory swirl for the background. As is my usual custom, this project sat until the very last minute. Fortunately, I was able to get it finished and quilted and in the mail before Christmas!

Here is the finished top:


This is the first project I've done without having a complete pattern to work with. I used a traditional Art Square block at 6" to put the alphabet hearts into. Then I put them together in a strip and started on my borders. I'd intended to use another border to do on both sides. I even got one side completely finished and attached to the hearts. But after sleeping on it, I decided that the border was too big. So the next morning I took it off and used the 2½" squares I had left from the uncompleted side of the border, and added enough new squares to make a checkerboard border. I like the finished look.

Angie of the Twilight Quilters Coven, quilted it for me and did a lovely job. She did an all-over hearts and ribbons pattern. Here is a close-up of the quilting.


We have been close friends for nearly ten years now. In that time, she has only lived near me for about 2 years total, moving to several different places around the country. I had no idea the size of her table, but hoped that she might have some use for this runner, made with lots of love. She sent me a picture of it on her table, which happens to be oval. The table runner fits perfectly end to end.


Here's another shot of the table runner in action.


There were a few things I liked about this runner. First, it was fun to put together. Second, it was very personal, as the family name is 'woven' right into the design. And third, it can be altered for any size family name and so can be used for more than just one person. I have a few family members in mind for Christmas gifts this year and possibly a couple of other very dear friends. I so enjoyed making this gift for my friend and it will be fun to make again, personalizing names and colors for other families.

1 comment:

Jennifer Lovell said...

We love our table runner. It is one of the prettiest things in our house, and one of the first things you notice when you enter our home. The hearts theme is perfect for our name, and it even happens to be in season right now, cool!