Friday, February 26, 2010

More Aprons in Action

I'm excited to show another group of my aprons in their new homes. A special thank-you to everyone who has spent pictures. I know it is sometimes uncomfortable to put yourself out there in a photograph. But I appreciate it and have enjoyed hearing the stories and seeing the pictures of what my aprons are up to.

Fellow TwilightMOM, Angie tells me: I was at a wedding this weekend and wouldn't you know it, this man was a guest at the wedding and had one just like mine ... what are the odds?

Out of all the members of our group, Angie keeps us laughing. Then she told us the real story: I did the food for the wedding and grabbed an apron to put over my dress just in case. Then I thought 'oh, I have a BEAUTIFUL apron that I could show off instead' and I grabbed it as an after thought as I was running out the door to go to the wedding. I put in on before most people got there and took it off once the reception got started. Well, this man and his wife (family of the bride) were sitting at the table next to me. First the husband says to me 'what a beautiful apron!' I said 'why thank you!' and did a little twirl...then explained that my 'quilting buddy' made it for me and then we started talking about quilting and that his monther and grandmother used to quilt. He make the obvious observation, 'you are too young to quilt,' and, 'I didn't think women still did that any way,' and my favorite, 'with an apron like that I bet you cook too.' So I also got to share a little story about our 'online family.' Just as I was getting done telling him about it, his wife walks up and says, 'what a beautiful apron,' and the process started all over. Needless to say it was a hit! So I was telling him, 'oh that reminds me, she wanted me to take a picture of it and send it to her ... it would be a trip if I sent a pic of you wearing it instead.' He cracked up and gladly posed!

This is one of my most recent aprons. Wanda, fellow TwilightMOM, sent me the cast-off yellow-with-cherries fabric and I knew that she needed an apron with it. She said, That was just so nice of you to make it for me. I have worn it everyday and today I thought I better put it in the laundry! I could't see anything on it but I am sure there must be something there! :) I've been hanging it off a plate rack in the kitchen so I can enjoy the looks of it. It's so special to have something custom made just for me! . She poses here with her autographed copy of a Susan Branch Cookbook while whipping up some brownies for her family.

The mini-twin of Wanda's apron went to my adorable daughter, LadyBug. I can't believe how grown-up she is! She's nearly outgrown the blue apron we made for her last year so she was happy to get a new one with RED on it -- we used some of the left-over fabric from her High School Musical quilt for the ruffle and pocket. She likes to help me cook, especially when we make muffins. Her favorite recipe is found below.


Introducing . . .

Dottie (also known as Jeannie):

Daisy (or, we like to call her Carol):

and Day Lilly (really, her name is Arlene, but they each had an alias that began with a 'D' that went with her apron. They couldn't remember hers, so I improvised).

These three friends were witnesses to the beginnings of my Apron Madness. The four of us, plus my mom, went to Shop Hop together in the spring of 2008. I picked up the chocolate brown and mint green dotted fabrics on clearance and Jeannie made such a fuss over how beautiful they were that I knew then she would be the recipient of that apron. Her birthday was in July and she was one of the first to receive an apron from me. Arlene and Carol's birthdays followed in the fall and each of the three were so sweet in thanking me for them. When I asked them to take photos of themselves, not only did they pose individually, but they put together this little collage of super-cute aprons in action. Click on any of the photos for a closer look.



I was just so pleased that these three friends took time to stage a whole photo shoot for me. I thanked them all in an e-mail and Arlene wrote back, saying, We had so much fun doing that. Even our friend who took the photos enjoyed being there and kept saying, "this is so much fun." I shared in good things at Relief Society and said that we would gladly sign photos for a fee. Thank you so much for making those lovely gifts and seeing them altogether was so fun. None of us had seen the other's aprons. We thought that the prints suited the recipients too. Thanks so much to you for making them.

I love hearing what each of you think of my gifts. Jenna, who I showed with her two girls in their pink-a-licious aprons said: What a great collection of photos of your very fun aprons. After seeing all the variety, I realize that you really did choose our fabric well--ours are still my favorite :)!

Keep sending those photos in! I look forward to more apron fun!

LadyBug's Favorite Muffins

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins
Muffins
1½ cups oatmeal
1¼ cups flour
½ cup brown sugar
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking power
¾ teaspoon baking soda
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 cup applesauce
½ cup (skim) milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg white
Topping
¼ cup oatmeal
1 tablespoon brown sugar
⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter, melted

• Heat oven to 400˚. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
• In a medium mixing bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the middle of the ingredients.
• In a small mixing bowl, combine applesauce, milk, oil and egg white. Add to dry ingredients, stirring only to combine. Batter will be lumpy.
• Fill each muffin cup half full.
• In a small mixing bowl combine the ingredients for the topping; oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Top each muffin with the mix, lightly pressing it into the batter.
• Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Cool and serve.

Makes 12 Muffins

3 comments:

Arlene said...

Thanks for the apronorama. I am proud to be included as a model. That is actually my second opportunity to model an outfit for my fans, which proves that large really is lovely! I included ladybug's muffins in my family cookbook. I will send you a copy. Love, Arlene

arleneokey said...

I just want you to know that I have never read a twilight book or seen a twilight movie but I am now obcessed with twilight fans! Your coven sounds like such a great group. I have just spent 3 hours going over all of your posts, comments, etc. I loved the gift exchange. Elizibeth, I will never skip over your birthday again.

Elizabeth said...

Arlene, you're so funny! Thanks for modeling your apron and thanks for stopping by!