Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Eclipse Charity Quilt: Edward's Bedroom

Edward's room was at the farthest end of the third floor hallway, hard to mistake even when the huge house had been less familiar. But when I switched the light on, I paused in confusion. Had I picked the wrong door?

Alice giggled.

It was the same room, I realized quickly; the furniture had just been rearranged. The couch was pushed to the north wall and the stereo shoved up against the vast shelves of CDs -- to make room for the colossal bed that now dominated the central space.

The southern wall of glass reflected the scene back like a mirror, making it look twice as bad.

It matched. The coverlet was a dull gold, just lighter than the walls; the frame was black, made of intricately patterned wrought iron. Sculpted metal roses wound in vines up the tall posts and formed a bowery lattice overhead.
-Bella Swan, Eclipse, page 150

The Twilight series of books are a far cry from a Harlequin romance novel, but things get a little steamy in Eclipse when Edward provides a bed for Bella to sleep in while he has his family hold her hostage when he is away on hunting trips. He returns early from a hunting trip and there is a lot of kissing. But that is as far as he lets it get. As a matter of fact, when Edward himself holds Bella hostage with the rest of his family away for the night, Bella tries to seduce Edward. Fortunately, Edward is a bizarrely moral vampire and insists that Bella marry him first.

I pause here to point out that I realize that it is very silly for a 37 year-old woman with two children and a wonderful husband to be obsessed enough with teenage vampires to be quilting about them. When I talk about the books, it makes it sound even sillier. But Stephenie Meyer can tell quite a story.

I'm happy to report that I've finished the most difficult of the two blocks I signed up for for the Eclipse Charity Quilt with my on-line quilting group. I think it came out pretty well. The pieces in the ring and the rose were so small and intricate that I'm going a little bit cross-eyed. I plan to finish the second block tomorrow and get them in the mail to the group member who is assembling the quilt.

I coveted you. I had no right to want you -- but I reached out and took you anyway. And now look what's become of you! Trying to seduce a vampire. -Edward Cullen, Eclipse, page 454

4 comments:

QuiltNut Creations said...

LOVE IT!

the first of my two favorite scenes in Eclipse. can't wait!

mills5 said...

WOW! That is a great quilt block. I love it. And, what an awesome charity idea. Nice work! Oh, I really liked your commentary on page 150 too :)

Anonymous said...

Love my ring block in there - the whole thing is great

Jennifer Lovell said...

This bed is so cute I want to jump on it. I love the two brown fabrics, and I love the look of the pillows. Good job!