Monday, April 26, 2010

Pinwheel Sampler Quilt Along: block two, take three


I've been following Rachel's p.s. i quilt: pinwheel sampler quilt-along. I love pinwheels, so it took me all of 12.5 seconds to decide that I wanted to do it. I'll admit that when the first set of blocks came out, I was a little disappointed that the blocks were all going to be doubles of each other. Rachel's quilt had so many amazing, colorful, creative pinwheels and I had hoped we'd be doing something similar. But, I went with it because I am one of those people who has to color in the lines all the time. When block two came out, I just didn't love the scale of it. But not having seen the quilt from beginning to end, I did my best with the block. I pause here to say that I am not, in any way trying to put Rachel down, at all. I respect her creative process and know that she put a lot of time and effort into the quilt and I really appreciate her for taking time to inspire me to make something fun. This has been a really enjoyable quilt-along! I especially love that blocks were revealed on a weekly basis. But, having seen all the blocks from beginning to end now, I decided that the large pinwheel just didn't fit in how I wanted it to in my quilt. And I think it is OK to make this quilt mine.

Going back just a little, after block six, I was more sure that this block didn't really fit in with the others, so I went from this:

to this:

But I still wasn't satisfied. After the final block was revealed, I further changed the block to this. I am much more satisfied with this. I think it fits in better with the movement of the other blocks.

And here is my second colorway for the original block:

Take two:

Final answer:

I love how this quilt is taking shape!

2 comments:

Shay said...

I'm a bit obsessed with the idea of pink and chocolate at the moment, so I'm lovin' your block and I really like it the way you've added sashing.

I'm off to read your other posts assumably about this quilt...

QuiltNut Creations said...

love the new blocks!! i must get moving on mine lol