Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Pinwheel Sampler Quilt Along: block five


I've been working really hard on my Eclipse quilt blocks. Really. I have. But I needed a little break from all the teeny tiny paper-piecing details for some good old-fashioned traditional piecing. Or at least talking about good old-fashioned traditional piecing. I actually finished these blocks a couple of days ago, but haven't posted them yet. This is block five of eight in the series. I absolutely love how this design came out. I think this block is my favorite fabric combination so far. I just love pink!

And this is my second color combination for this block. It turned out really nicely as well, I think. I picked up a fat eighth of the cream flowered In the Pink 2 print by Buggy Barn which coordinates with the pink flowered fat quarter that started it all, is in some of the other blocks (along with the brown flowered print) and will be the back of this quilt.

You can find the instructions for this block here: p.s. i quilt: pinwheel sampler quiltalong: block five. I used this No Waste Method for Flying Geese (for the windmill center) instead of HST's in this block. Since the geese have a different color on each side, I did two squares for each color and then cut them into their triangles, placing them on the fabric so they'd come out right in the end. Explaining it is much more complicated that it actually is.

Back to my Eclipse blocks. I'm anxious to get them finished so that I can take a little break from paper piecing and put together block six for my pinwheel quilt. We're getting close now!

4 comments:

coley said...

I like them lizzie!! they look really good!

Lane said...

Your blocks look terrific. I love how the other colors play with the pink. And, thanks for the no waste flying geese method. Hadn't seen that. I love it. Lane

QuiltNut Creations said...

so pretty! love how the pink just pops out

Jennifer Lovell said...

This pinwheel design is my favorite. I love it.