Sunday, April 4, 2010

Just Do It!

Do it. Do it right. Do it right now. -Spencer W. Kimball

I think the guy who worked on the Nike marketing team must have been a member of the LDS Church, because long before they were telling us to 'do it!' Spencer W. Kimball kept that motto on his desk at the Church Office Building.

The hardest part about any task is starting, I think. But I think I've made a good start. My patterns are almost ready to start sewing. I got all the fiddly details figured out, the patterns sectioned off, numbered and they're ready to be split for easier use when sewing.

Here is the pattern which depicts the scenes in Edward's bedroom. The rose represents one of the wrought iron roses he pulls off the bed frame and crushes to dust to show Bella just how fragile she is. This is where he proposes to Bella as well, so we've go the ring in there too. The numbers and letters are all backwards the fabric is sewn onto the wrong side of the pattern, so it has to be reversed in order for it to work out. I flipped my finished pattern to show the design as it will be when it is all sewn up. I can't take full credit for these patterns. I went to SewHooked and combined and altered Harry Potter's Four-Poster Bed by Jennifer Ofenstein, Cat's Rosebud and Gaunt's Ring by Michelle Thompson. I used their designs as a framework for this pattern. If I counted right, there are 112 pieces in this pattern, which is a 7" finished block.

This is my other block, Graduation from Forks High School, which required much less work on my part. Cat put this together a while back (when there was still plenty of time before the deadline) but it needed a bit of tweaking here and there, the numbers put on it and the pattern also needs to be split too.

It feels good to move forward with this project, but on the other hand, I'm feeling a bit frustrated at the slow process it is and how much time it took up today because of my ineptitude. I hope to have these finished and in the mail by Tuesday.

2 comments:

coley said...

sorry I wasn't able to help out and make a square.

QuiltNut Creations said...

and this is why paper piecing terrifies me; look at the millions of teeny tiny pieces!! ack!