Friday, July 29, 2011

Hexie Art Journals

All art requires courage. –Anne Tucker

I've been puttering around with some little chipboard art journals and my Go! Hexie dies. What do you think?

This one is for one of my Twi-Hard friends whose birthday was earlier this month. Isn't that apple fabric perfect!?! I tried a little McTavishing on the background. It still needs a little work and I think the next one I do {good things come to those who wait, TwiQuilter friends :wink:} I'll use black thread so it shows up a bit more. I loosely followed this tutorial for fabric postcards. I made a few alterations; for the front cover I used Pellon Peltex 72F II double-sided fusible stabilizer {I got mine at JoAnn's, but couldn't find it on their web-site} and only used Heat n' Bond Lite to for the appliqué t and to fuse the fabric to the back cover {inside and out}. If you're interested using these cute little On Board 5" x 5" Art Journals {Stampin' Up!® item #108495}, I just happen to know the cutest Stampin' Up!® demonstrator you can order your supplies from. Her name is Jenna and she would be more than happy to help you out. If you live in the US, you can place an order through her web-site or you can contact her directly via e-mail {if you live outside the US, visit Stampin' Up!®'s website to find a demonstrator in your own country}.

As a matter of fact, this next Hexie Notebook was a little gift for Jenna's birthday.

I did the hexie a little bit different on this one. I cut a piece of batting into a hexagon and then trimmed ⅜" off each side. I used a piece of Mistyfuse to iron the hexie to the batting. I quilted it and then pressed the edges under, and because the Mistyfuse was the same size as the hexie, when I tucked the edges under they fused to the back of the batting, making certain that everything stayed in place while I sewed it to the cover. It was fun to quilt around these flowers.

And here's a third little journal, using another color variation of the same Sanibel coordinates. I used the floral print inside the front and back covers and added a little monogram on the back for fun.

Love these? Want one? I'm having a little Hexie Art Journal Giveaway. Entries will be accepted until 10:00 pm {MST} on August 9th

Today's post brought to you by:

My 2011 Finishes

4 comments:

Paulette said...

Oh.My.Goodness! Those are SO CUTE! Wow, E., I cannot imagine how much time it takes to do each one of those, but they're really awesome. You really have a knack for making fab notebooks. I recognize that fabric too!

pinksuedeshoe said...

Ah, I love these. You are such a great friend, what with all the beautiful handmade gifts you make. These are beautiful, as always :)

Diane said...

Those are adorable!

p.s.phyllis sews said...

I love the fabric you chose to make these notebooks pop! The hexagon addition is terrific! So glad you put these on Show N Tell.