Thursday, July 21, 2011

I Must Ask . . . How Tall Are You?

All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.
–Casey Stengel

I always thought that I was taller than I am. I never stopped to measure when my grandma told me that I was 5'6". And I always wanted to be 2" taller than that. But I stand at 5'4⅜". Yes ⅜". Not ¼". Not ½". 5'4⅜". Today, I wore my tall shoes to work. In them, I am 5'8⅞". The world, from 4½" taller, is kind of a different place and I like it up there. Although there is nothing I can permanently do to be that tall all the time, it is fun to visit in my tall shoes.

Height has been on my mind lately, as I've been planning out the summer fun for the Little Bugs. Several places that we've visited or are planning to visit have height requirements for their attractions. So, I measured the Little Bugs so I'd know what to expect. LadyBug is 4'2½" and Grasshopper is 4'10¼". Mr. Bug is 5'9½".

People come in all sizes. There is a 16 year-old girl that attends church in the same congregation as we do who is a full 6'2" and wears 4" heels. How awesome is that? There's a boy I work with who is 6'10". Robert Wadlow, grew to be 8'11", with no signs of his growth stopping at the time of his death at age 22. As a side-note, he was my height, 5'4" at the age of four years old. Can you imagine trying to control the tantrums? On the other end of the scale, Jennifer Arnold and Bill Klein of The Little Couple are 3'2" and 4" tall, respectively. Can you imagine the difficulties you'd encounter as a child-sized adult? Another side note, I think they are amazing!

So where do you fit in? Today, I must ask . . . how tall are you? This is kind of a tough one to poll because to some people, every fraction of an inch counts, but I think that I'm going to do ranges and everyone who fits into the 5'4"—5'4⅞" range will kind of be lumped together, and so on. I know that ⅞" is almost to the next inch, but this way, the poll won't be 5' tall.

Thanks to everyone who voted in the Chocolate vs. Vanilla debate. It really was hard to pick between them, but it looks like chocolate won by a very small margin.

10 comments:

Paulette said...

It's kind of nice up here at 6'2+, but there are days I'd gladly trade six inches to be able to shop for clothes in a normal store and wear 3-inch heels.

I think people sometimes have impression that very tall people are stuck up or act superior, especially if the tall one is naturally a bit reserved around strangers or shy or not a smiley face 24/7. Actually it can feel a little vulnerable to be head and shoulders above the crowd. I walk very straight too, because my mama drilled it into us kids that no matter how tall we were, there would be no slouching. My sister and I even practiced walking with books on our head for correct posture.

Jennifer Lovell said...

I didn't realize that you and I fall within the same inch : ). I'm 5'4 3/4" tall. We're very close!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I love all these little stories and polls you do.......thanks.

Impera Magna said...

How tall I used to be before I started shrinking in old age? Or how tall I am now that I've shrunk?

*lol*

pinksuedeshoe said...

5'8" since 6th grade. And I am nearly the shortest in my family. Heidi is an inch shorter, but my little sis is 5'11" and my mom is 5'10" and then my two brothers and dad are 6'5", 6'6" and 6'7". I feel shrimpy all the time, even though I'm not. It's weird.

Shay said...

I dont care how short I am - Im not wearing any heeel above 3 inches for any reason. Thats my perogative because Im middle aged.

I was always "tall" in high school which is a bit of a joke. I do think girls these days are taller (and far thinner ) than we were as young women.

Im 5 feet 6 inches and that suits me just fine.

Michelle said...

5'2" :-)

Anonymous said...

I put that I was 5'1", but I might be fudging it a little. I use to be 5'4" - guess that's why my middle is bigger now. Thanks for asking.
cindy

Elizabeth said...

I thought it was so funny that you use fractions when you give your height. I always say I am 5' 4 3/4", so I am just a bit taller than you, depending on who puffs up her hair the most.

I am a bit depressed because my 12yo daughter is already 5' 6".

Angie said...

without my shoes I am just under 5'3"...with my shoes I range from 5'3" to 5'8".