Thursday, July 7, 2011

I Must Ask . . . Butter or Margarine?

98% of all statistics are made up. –Unknown

I am absolutely floored. Completely flabbergasted. My whole world is turned upside down. More people like Miracle Whip than mayo. I think I need to go lie down.

Today I must ask: which do you prefer? Butter or margarine? Me? Thanks for asking. Butter. Definitely butter. But as is the case with Miracle Whip vs. mayo, margarine is what we had growing up. When offered a slice of bread and butter {read margarine}, I'd always decline the butter {read margarine}, because eww, yuck! and just eat the bread. Sometimes, though, when we were at my grandparent's house, they'd have saltines at dinner and grandma and grandpa would spread theirs with butter before they ate them. I liked to do that too. Maybe it was because grandma and grandpa were awesome and I wanted to do what they were doing. Or maybe it was because they had butter.

I don't remember if I started buying butter instead of margarine right off the bat after Mr. Bug and I were married, like I did with Miracle Whip. But butter is all we have in the fridge now. If a recipe calls for butter or margarine, I use butter. If a recipe calls for margarine, I use butter. It just tastes better. And bread and butter? Bring it on!

I can't wait to see your comments on this. I know that Pink Suede Shoe, or Pink, as I like to call her, likes butter flavor Crisco for baking. She said, I actually prefer butter flavored Crisco for baking most things; it gives them that crispy on the outside, but still soft and fluffy on the inside that butter just can't do. For baking, which I don't do a lot of {too much effort and mess and the result is gone before you can get it all cleaned up}, if a recipe calls for shortening, then that's what I use, but I'm wondering if butter flavor Crisco would be better?

To finish up, lest you think that I am the only one who did gross things as a kid, I get to tell tales on my brother. He would get into the butter dish, which was really the margarine dish, and eat the margarine by itself. He said he still likes margarine by itself. He's also a Miracle Whip person.

15 comments:

Impera Magna said...

Personally, I do not prefer one to the other... I used to buy marg b/c it was cheaper. Then all the stuff about the bad fats in margarine and clogged arteries, so I switched to butter. I'm not a huge butter/margarine fan and rarely use it.

Margarine and Crisco do work better in baked goods but I don't make those anymore... no one at home to eat the stuff but me and I don't need it.

So, a pound of butter lasts just me a long time. If I find butter on sale, I get some and freeze it. Right this moment, I can't remember the last time I bought stick butter.

To sum up... *lol*

I buy butter for health reasons rather than for taste.

Pokey said...

Oh, I didn't vote! I was raised on Miracle Whip, but LoVe mayo...
butter is the choice at our house, too, but I do buy both.
:-}pokey

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Butter all the way! When baking if it says shortening then it gets shortening, and pie crusts get butter flavored crisco, makes the homemade pie crusts that much better. I too use to eat butter all by itself as a child.

Catskill Quilter said...

For me, it's all about BUTTER! I love the taste, I love the way it melts when I use it on hot toast. It is jst -- irresistible!

Kim said...

I would definitely go for the butter. Now that I am can't have much fat in my food, I have to use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, but when I bake for my family, it's butter all the way.

QuiltNut Creations said...

butter!

pinksuedeshoe said...

I remember the first pie crust I tasted with Butter crisco.... And I haven't looked back since. I prefer butter on everything else though. Scott prefers margarine though. Though he is slowly learning that if I am going to eat any of the mac and cheese he made he better use butter instead of margarine. But sometimes i do love me some country crock on white bread..... must be one of those tastes of childhood you can't get out of your cravings list. So fun to see you tonight!

Regina said...

Butter definitely but at the beginning of June my doctor informed me that my cholesterol was high so now I'm a Country Crock girl. I tried other fake butter brands and decided that one is the best.

Irina said...

I prefer butter, even though I hardly use it and when I do it's just a tiny amount. I'd rather have the real thing, in moderation...

leigh said...

I just want you to know that I love mayo too and hate Miracle Whip. HATE! So if I had responded to your poll, that would have been one more for mayo!

Jill said...

I always buy a tub of margerine for general use--grill cheese, "butter" bread, etc. But I, too, buy stick butter when it's on sale and freeze a box or two and put the other in the butter garage of my fridge. That is for all recipes that call for the stuff. And esp. mashed potatoes. But I don't waste my butter on the kids mac and cheese. That gets a spoonful of the margerine in the tub.
If I had to pick only one, it'd be butter. But I can't afford to buy it for the mass that we use the margerine for. I don't think I actually know what my hubby prefers...he eats what I put in the fridge and has never given it a complaint.
Also, I like that my spread (which is actually more oil than anything) will just SPREAD. I don't have to unchill it like you do with butter. I like it to be cold, actually.

Shay said...

I buy my butter by the kilo. Really.

Butter all the way for baking, toast , sandwiches, and Im ashamed to say on pretty much everything else I eat.

I dont want to know about my cholesterol.

mom said...

I always buy both now that we can afford it and I like the taste of butter better. My grandma always had butter and I loved it at her house. But sometimes margarine is just easyer to use. I guess that makes me lazy or I just don't mind that much.

Annelise said...

butter makes it better! ;) i always use butter. in fact, i use it in baking even if a recipe calls for margarine. if its for shortening, then i usually use the butter crisco. its funny, because just the other day i happened to have margarine (which is rare) and no butter (even more rare) and had to use that for sam's eggo. he totally called me on it. "hmm this is very different to me." picky little pickster! and i was going to blame the butter snobbery on my mom, but now that i think about it, we often had a tub of margarine out at dinner. when it was real butter, it was cold and hard and i didnt like that. i keep my butter out and use it daily. and we go through it way too fast. and no doubt, this is way more info than you wanted about my margarine/butter thoughts ;)

Angie said...

As usuall, I will quote a movie to get my point across...

"Lies are poison, it's like Margarine, I can't have that in my body" ;)

I used to have a bumpersticker that said "in the battle between butter and margarine, I trust cows over chemists". lol