Thursday, November 3, 2011

I Must Ask . . . When Is Your Anniversary?

A wedding anniversary is the celebration of love, trust, partnership, tolerance and tenacity. The order varies for any given year. –Paul Sweeney

Last week's topic was lots of fun. I enjoyed reading what you all had to say about your siblings, and I think I even replied to some of you this time. Angie's dad takes the prize for the most siblings — he has 21. I'll let you all ask her about that. And for those of you who don't have any brothers or sisters, I would have envied you when I was growing up :lol:.

What's on my mind today is anniversaries. In less than a week, Mr. Bug and I will have been married for 15 years. Anyone who has been married for more than 15 minutes knows that a lot of work went into those 15 years. I wrote about our engagement and a little bit about our wedding day last year, so if you want to read about one of my finest moments, follow the links. Today, I must ask . . . when is your anniversary? I turned it over in my mind quite a bit on how to do this. There's really no good {ie. concise} way to poll the days of the year and/or how many years you've been married so you'll have to tell me that in the comments. And if you have a funny/embarrassing/horrible/wonderful proposal or wedding story, make sure to leave it in the comments too and I'll share it next week. Today's poll is for which month you celebrate, so take a second to vote for the month of your anniversary.

And what's a post about wedding anniversaries, without a little nostalgia?

7 comments:

Paulette said...

Congrats, Elizabeth and the Mister, on your 15th anniversary! Those years fly by, don't they? We had our (pausing to do the math) 28th in June.

A wedding story, huh? Well, we had a very small ceremony at the courthouse. The judge was in the middle of a trial, apparently for some sort of drinking offense, because there was a beer bottle on the counsel table when we entered the courtroom. Court had taken a recess so the judge could marry us at the appointed time. Oh, and nobody had thought to bring a camera (my dad just had his Instamatic which did not have a flash), so one of the ladies in the clerk's office who knew me ran across the street to the Sheriff's Dept. where her husband worked as a detective. She borrowed his Polaroid and came back and took a handful of the only photos we have of the ceremony!

QuiltNut Creations said...

congrats Mr and MrsBug! I think I had those same glasses ;)

we are celebrating 18yrs this year; on December 18th. the reaction we got from people planning a wedding the week before Christmas was priceless! but a wedding story? my brother was one of the groomsmen and he had been out goofing off the night before the wedding and ended up sleeping. so he had to drive himself to the church. on his way, he decided to get a carwash and got his car stuck in the wash lol!!

retdairyqueen said...

We were married for 42 years last May
The wedding went beautifully No funny stories there
We got engaged two years before. I actually asked him because I was allowed as it was a leap year, hence the girl can ask the guy
Thankfully he said Yes

Angie said...

We were married for 3 years in August.

You want a 'romantic' engagment story? We had been discussing getting married in October but I was never 'proposed to'. So one day I was sitting at work and the man called me and said 'since your parents are coming to visit next week how about we get married then so they don't have to come back in a few months?' I said 'I tell you what...here is my dad's number, you give him a call and see what he thinks about that'. (At this point the man had never even spoken to my parents) He says 'hang on, I'll call you back' and hangs up. He calls me back about 15 minutes later and says 'OK, let's do it'. I thought I was going to puke! And 2 weeks later we got married by a total stranger because we couldn't find anyone we knew to do it.

Shay said...

Gorgeous Photo of you and Mr. Bug . Happy Anniversary. 15 years is certainly something to celebrate.

Mr. P and I are completely insane because we got married New Years Eve. That way the whole world celebrates our anniversary plus I got to say the day after our wedding that we got "married last year ".

Mommarock said...

We have been married 23 years now, I have a funny story to share. DH and I got married in Sparks, NV. So it was just he and I. We walked out of the wedding chapel, and the first words he said to me as my loving husband were, "Well, let the nagging begin." A Clint Eastwood take.. Nag, Nag, Nag.. I just looked at him and said.. You, S.O.B. You will never forget that those are your first words to me as my husband, because you just gave me permission to nag! I remind him frequently. :)

Jennifer Lovell said...

We got married on Valentine's Day, 1998, 13 years ago. It was President's Day weekend, so the 3-day weekend was just right for our wedding in the middle of the semester. We took an extra 2 days off of school to have our little exotic honeymoon in Salt Lake City, an hour away from where we lived. It's fun that it's a day we never forget each year (I love how the stores and everyone all celebrate our anniversary along with us), but we often choose a different day to have our anniversary date so we don't have to fight the crowds.

Anyway, last of all I just want to throw in how VERY MUCH I love my husband! He is a very good man, and I am so lucky to have his love and devotion.