Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Finished: Sudoku Quilt

Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny. –Tryon Edwards

This quilt was so fun to make! A shout out to P. for the inspiration and to Sarah for sharing the pattern! I'm pretty sure there will be another one in my future.

To quilt this, I marked diagonally through each square and then quilted a series of arcs around the X's I'd marked. It was a lot of fun.

Mathematically, this quilt is awesome. The outer border is 8", exactly double the nine-patch squares, and it divides evenly by 8 as well, so I marked it in 8" squares, drew X's through them and quilted the same arcs as I did in the nine-patches. And with all that stripey goodness, I couldn't resist a bit of stripey bias binding.

I quilted my favorite swirls into the sashing. They are hard to see from the front because the thread is the same color as the sashing, so here's a view from the back.

Here's a shot of the whole quilt. So much fun and so quick to put together!

Read more about this quilt:
Beginnings
Fabric Selection
Sudoku Quilt Group
Finished Quilt Top

Today's post brought to you by:

My 2011 Finishes

7 comments:

Paulette said...

Awesome, Elizabeth! Beautiful quilting; it is very complementary. Love the stripey border and binding. That yellow vintage fabric just brings a little merry sunshine, doesn't it? Congrats on another 2011 finish!

Your cute little button reminds me that I meant to add it and keep track in 2011 myself, but that didn't happen. Perhaps I will be inspired to organize better next year. :)

Jen said...

Your mitered corners are lovely! Great finish!

Quiet Quilter said...

I keep forgetting about sudoku quilts! What a nice reminder!!

Shay said...

That's it. I'm officially sending you all my quilts for the swirly treatment. Don't protest. It's your own fault for showing your brilliance.

That quilt is super gorgeous. I love everything about it from the floral teeny border to the way you went out on a limb and did stripes. Fabulous I tell you - it's fabulous !

Barb said...

Totally love this....love the colors...just a great job!

Michelle said...

Such warm colors! Those mitered stripey corners are incredible. I must admit to a bit of envy. :-)

Jill said...

Ever since you asked me to fill in a Sudoku for you to create a quilt, I've been wanting to make my own. (Maybe after the holidays and things slow down a bit with RS and PTA.)
Gorgeous quilt!