Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Quilt for Little Peanut

Friendship is a sheltering tree. –Samuel Taylor Coleridge

I belong to a really fun on-line quilting group. Most of our group efforts have produced quilts about the Twilight series of books. But that's not all we love to quilt. In early 2010 we discovered that our cute little Mel was expecting, so we started planning a quilt for her new little one. While she was pregnant she called him, Little Peanut, so we decided on an elephant/peanut theme for the quilt. Nicole headed up this project, setting the layout, choosing fabrics for the border and sashing and assembling the blocks. She did a really fabulous job! Mel's sweet little baby boy was born on October 1, 2010. This post is long overdue, but I still wanted to share this fun group project.


Mel had this to say about the quilt, For my 29th birthday, I received a totally wonderful and unexpected present. A quilt, handmade by my very special Twilight Quilters friends! It made my day to open up the package and find that beautiful quilt, made just for my little baby. Owen has loved his one-of-kind present from the start. (And let me share a little secret . . . I used it a few times myself! And it's really snuggly!!!) This is something I will treasure for the rest of my life, and I feel truly blessed to have such wonderful friends, even if they all live hundreds and hundreds of miles away from me.

For my part in the quilt, I did a few jungle trees. I used a rubber stamp as my 'pattern' for the trees. I stamped the image onto paper, scanned it, enlarged it and then also reversed it so that I had trees going in both directions. I did raw-edge appliqué using Heat 'n Bond and did a machine blanket stitch around the trees. Then I did a bit of messy free-motion stitching to add a few details to them. The background fabric was a FQ that Wanda sent to me for my birthday, and I thought it was perfect for the trees. These were a lot of fun to make.

Here's the Little Peanut, with his new quilt.

For photos and details about all the quilt blocks, visit the post at the Twi-Quilters blog.

3 comments:

Shay said...

What a sweet quilt ( and the baby is gorgeous too...)

Your twilight group is so wonderful to make this gift for one of it's members!

Barb said...

What a cute quilt and a cutie under the quilt!

Paulette said...

How did I miss this cute quilt and the little peanut under it? Adorable!!