Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Kimono Garden

People pay for what they do, and still more, for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply: by the lives they lead. –Edith Wharton

Free-motion quilting is kind of a scary thing. It is just you and wherever your imagination can take the thread. As I've worked on improving this skill, the biggest obstacle is figuring out how to quilt something. Edge-to-edge works for some things. But I really prefer custom quilting that enhances the quilt's design.

I'm still working on branching out with quilting designs. I gave this quilt the Swirly Treatment; the same favorite swirls I've put into at least four other quilts.

And I quilted the squares and border the same way I did the Sudoku quilt. As a matter of fact, I designed this table runner specifically so that I could quilt it the same way.

This year, on both sides of our family we're doing “Dirty Santa” gift exchanges, where everyone brings a gift, we draw numbers and the person with the lowest number picks a gift to open. The next person can either steal that gift or open something else. It's called “Dirty Santa” because playing dirty is allowed. Doing a gift exchange this way takes a lot of pressure off. You don't have to worry about finding “the perfect gift” for a specific person. The party goers get to choose what their perfect gift is. And since I don't know who this will end up with, I can blog about it beforehand without spoiling the surprise.

Today's post brought to you by:

My 2011 Finishes

12 comments:

Michelle said...

I LOVE the quilting you did on this piece. I'm with you on the specialty quilting. Working on those techniques myself. You are so exact! Awesome! Your swirlies are wonderful!

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Elizabeth -- it is beautiful! I sent the link to my sister in law -- she is looking for a large block design to use some old hydrangea material that she has .. this would be perfect... did you use a pattern or just make it up yourself ?

Your quilting is perfect for this piece.

Karen

Vicki said...

Totally beautiful gorgeous, Elizabeth! I love it. The quilting is awesome.

Anonymous said...

It was a excitement locating your site yesterday. I came here right hoping to learn something new. And I was not dissatisfied. Your well thought out ideas for new events like this. Thank you for this idea and sharing your knowledge.

Paulette said...

Another stunning quilting success, Elizabeth! Love your swirlies. I hope I can do them justice when I attempt them on the B&W quilt. I already know they're going to look different than yours...it's like handwriting, I suppose.

We do the Dirty Santa game too in our family. It's so much fun. I'd be stealing this runner if I didn't get it first.

Shay said...

Another beauty!

Barb said...

I so love how you quilted this quilt, just amazing!

Heather said...

That is SO gorgeous!! Your quilting is just fantastic. Someone is going to be very happy to receive that gift. :o)

mom said...

Yea! you are well on your way! and such a beautiful job. that will be a fun steal.

ktquilts said...

Your FMQ skills give me hope for mine. Still a long way for me to go, but oh, the joy is in the journey!!

Beautiful quilt!!! Beautiful quilting!!

QuiltNut Creations said...

absolutely fabulous!! way to go Elizabeth!

Richard Healey said...

The more and more I look at the FMQ the more I must do that one day my self. Not sure if I could ever have that much skill or sit down doing one thing. Thanks again for the answers to my questions the dumb and not so dumb.


http://richardquilts.blogspot.com