Monday, November 14, 2011

Various and Sundry Monday: Vol 18

The willingness to accept responsibility for one's own life is the source from which self-respect springs. –Joan Didion

Meet Stanley
I'm not sure if this spider, with its head-of-French-knots and button-bottom is whimsical or creepy. I mean, look at those legs and the bead-y orange eyes. This is the last piece of the hat portion of Zelda's Fancy Hat. I still have three brim pieces to do, but after I finished Stanley the Spider, it was time to put this project away for a bit.

Kimono Garden
The Christmas crafting has officially begun. I've got this table runner just about ready to baste and quilt. I'm going to make several different runners for various parties, and based on how quickly this one went together and barring any flare-ups of my chronic case of procrastination, I hope to be done with all handmade gifts with time to spare. Wish me luck.

100 Years and Still the Heartbeat of America
On November 3, Chevrolet celebrated its 100th birthday! Here's a look back at the last century.


Thank You for Your Votes
Last weekend, I entered the weekly themed quilt contest over at Quilting Bloggers. The theme was Remembering Veterans and I submitted the t-shirt quilt I made for Mr. Bug, using his old t-shirts, sweatshirts and work shirts from the Navy. My mom informs me that my dad voted from every single IP address he could, and called all my siblings and told them to vote from their computers and smart phones. I know many of you voted, and left me really nice comments of encouragement. I finished in 4th place, with 113 votes which is so amazing considering that the vote was split between 27 quilts. Thank you SO much to everyone who voted for me. I really appreciate it! It really made my weekend!

I Can't Help Myself
Part 1 of Breaking Dawn premiers at midnight on the 18th. I, somehow, lucked out and have tickets for a pre-screening at 5:15 pm on the 17th. I'm just a little excited. Here are a couple clips with scenes from the movie to help with the pre-wedding jitters.


6 comments:

QuiltNut Creations said...

okay, the spider is creepy yet whimsical or is it whimsical yet creepy?

congrats on 4th place! that is awesome!

and how did you score those tickets?? we have tickets for the 10pm show. can't believe it's finally here!!

Paulette said...

Last things first...you are not allowed to talk to me about the movie until I see it, which will be a couple of agonizing days after you do, 'kay? You are so lucky to have tickets to the earliest viewing!!

I would love that car! And Ellen cracks me up. Lookin' good, dude. ROFLMAO!

Congrats on 4th place in the contest! I have to go see which one won. Was it the poppy? Also, that table runner is amazing! Love the colors, so delicate and soft, yet elegant.

And Stanley the spider ROCKS! Not creepy, just incredible. Your needlework is so nice!

Shay said...

I think Stanley is very creepy but also very cute at the same time. You did a wonderful job!

I haven't even thought about Christmas crafting yet . Yikes!

Michelle said...

Congrats on the 4th place win! That is awesome!

Stanley is adorable. Such a cool button spider!

I'm on the Christmas quilting countdown as well. Let's hope we both finish all we need to.

Jill said...

I love Ellen. I haven't been able to watch in a long time. It's on when I'm getting my 1st grader from school.
I will probably be seeing
"Breaking Dawn" in a while from now. I like to wait until the "obsession" dies down (no offence). I prefer to watch it without all the screaming fans in the theatre. But it will be, admittedly, a terribly long time to wait...

mom said...

Love the button spider! the clips are great. I don't know when i'll get to see the movie. keep on keep'n on with that christmas quilting, you can do it!