Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Appliqué Sampler Table Runner

All my scattering moments are taken up with my needle. -Ellen Birdseye Wheaton, 1851

A long time ago, I started a block-of-the-month with my mom. It was an appliqué sampler and I got hung up on block five of six. The instructions were for the freezer paper method, but instructed you to leave the freezer paper in the appliqué pieces and then snip through the back of the fabric after the appliqué was finished to pull it out. I did not like that idea at all. And so I put the sampler away and did not finish it. Early last year I found Marcia Hohn's Applique Tutorial and was anxious and excited to finish my sampler without snipping through the back to remove the freezer paper and without leaving it in. I pulled out my blocks and completed the last two sections. I bought a backing for it and took it to Corn Wagon Quilt Co., where their quilter Ramona, did a lovely custom job.

Here is a close-up of some of the detail she did in the border and sashing, mirroring the vine appliqué in the infamous block #5. She did a beautiful job. Click on the pictures for a closer look.


I gave this as a Christmas gift to friend who uses table runners in a couple of places in her home, switching them out for different seasons. Her thanks made it all worth while.

No comments: