Monday, January 11, 2010

My Twilight Quilt: New Moon Book Cover

I felt like I was trapped in one of those terrifying nightmares, the one where you have to run, run till your lungs burst, but you can't make your body move fast enough. My legs seemed to move slower and slower as I fought my way through the callous crowd, but the hands on the huge clock tower didn't slow. With relentless, uncaring force, they turned inexorably toward the end -- the end of everything.

But this was no dream, and unlike the nightmare, I wasn't running for
my life; I was racing to save something infinitely more precious. My own life meant little to me today.

Alice had said there was a good chance we would both die here. Perhaps the outcome would be different if she weren't trapped by the brilliant sunlight; only I was free to run across this bright, crowded square.

And I couldn't run fast enough.

So it didn't matter to me that we were surrounded by our extraordinarily dangerous enemies. As the clock began to toll out the hour, vibrating under the soles of my sluggish feet, I knew I was too late -- and I was glad something bloodthirsty waited in the wings. For in failing at this, I forfeited any desire to live.

The clock tolled again, and the sun beat down from the exact center point of the sky.

-Bella Swan,
New Moon, pages 1-2

I'm excited to have all four book covers and consequently all four corners of my quilt finished! This is the New Moon Book cover, pattern designed by the lovely and talented Cat. I had previously made five other Broken Petals blocks when working on the Stephenie Meyer quilt. I made one test block at 5", and then four more, reduced to 80% to add to the medallion center of the quilt. For my quilt, I enlarged the pattern to 120%, to make a 6" block.

As I was working my blocks this time, I compared the design to the book cover. Cat does an amazing job using light and shadow and color to create the book covers. It is no small task to translate a picture into workable pieces on a pattern, even using the paper piecing method. I think that when I have it quilted, I would like to have the "veins" of the flower petals quilted in to give it that delicate look that the book cover has. The main red color is a fabric that Iris sent me. I think she's used it in her quilt as well. I had exactly enough to make the tulips. Thanks Iris! The darker burgundy accent (just a few spots of it) is from Wanda. The white is Snow Fairy Frost (can I ever manage a block without Fairy Frost?) and the background is the black I've chosen to use throughout my quilt. I know I've mentioned it before, but is a Civil War reproduction fabric and that always makes me think of Jasper when I think of that. It always surprises me that it fits in so well in every block I've used it in. The tiny flowers are so perfect. They add just the right texture and color compliment to the blocks.


And here is the layout, with all four corners filled in:

No comments: