Saturday, January 9, 2010

My Twilight Quilt: Vegetarian Vampire Eyes

I vividly remembered the flat black color of his eyes the last time he’d glared at me – the color was striking against the background of his pale skin and his auburn hair. Today, his eyes were a completely different color: a strange ocher, darker than butterscotch, but with the same golden tone. I didn’t understand how that could be. –Bella Swan, Twilight, page 46

The idea for my Vegetarian Vampire Eyes is a combination of ideas. It began as the "Junior Year" block of Heather Laddick's Mystery Quilt; two - 6" blocks representing Edward, one on either side of a block representing Jacob.


As my ideas about the quilt changed, so did the block. I took the blocks apart and changed the red squares out for a progression of colors from gold to onyx representing the color changes of the eyes of the vegetarian vampire clan, the Culllens. I also added two more 6" blocks, making it a full jewel box block, finishing at 12". Well, two 12" blocks because I am making two quilts. And since I couldn't make up my mind about the color in the center, I made one in blue and one in red.


But since my layout had changed, if only in my head for the time being, I could no longer incorporate the 12" block. And so I scaled it down to two 6" blocks, yet again, and changed out the light blue fabric. The print in the original fabric seemed to overwhelm the block. I changed to a subtle batik, which I'll be using in some other blocks in my quilts

After more refinements to the quilt layout, I eventually decided to go with only one Vegetarian Vampire Eyes block per quilt. I should mention that the color progression in the block was another idea inspired by Iris. Thanks!

No comments: