Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Twilight Quilt: A New Moon & I Can't Fight With An Eclipse

Tonight the sky was utterly black. Perhaps there was no moon tonight—a lunar eclipse, a new moon. –Bella Swan, New Moon, page 74

The Zeppelin Threads Mystery Quilt "Senior Year" block was a progression of the phases of the moon, from the new moon to the full moon. This was the first of her blocks that didn't wow me. However, inspired by Iris yet again, I decided that I wanted to include some of this block in my quilt. I pulled off the needle-turn appliqué and cut two - 6½" blocks of the background fabric (saving the rest for future use).


I then prepared another set of appliqués, raw edge this time, using Natural Fairy Frost for the pieces of the moon. First, I created A New Moon, using a machine blanket stitch.

The clouds I can handle. But I can't fight with an eclipse. –Jacob Black, Eclipse, page 600

Then I made an Eclipse. I used a machine blanket stitch for the appliqué, and a tight zig-zag for the rays coming off the Eclipse.

These blocks are called A New Moon, and I Can't Fight With An Eclipse respectively, and are in addition to the blocks that are representations of those two book covers.

No comments: