Saturday, January 9, 2010

My Twilight Quilt: Bella's Bracelet

[Jacob] turned the bag upside down and shook something silver into my hand. Metal links clinked quietly against each other.

"I didn't make the bracelet," he admitted. "Just the charm."

Fastened to one of the links of the silver bracelet was a tiny wooden carving. I held it between my fingers to look at it closer. It was amazing the amount of detail involved in the little figurine -- the miniature wolf was utterly realistic. It was even carved out of some red-brown wood that matched the color of his skin.
-Bella Swan, Eclipse, page 374

[Edward] pulled my left wrist away from my leg, and touched the silver bracelet for just a moment. Then he gave me my arm back.

I examined it cautiously. On the opposite side of the chain from the wolf, there now hung a brilliant heart-shaped crystal. It was cut in a million facets, so that even in the subdued light shining from the lamp, it sparkled. I inhaled a low gasp.
-Bella Swan, Eclipse, page 438


Influenced by the colors of Bella's comforter in the movie, the instructions for the Mystery Quilt had us choose two colors of plum to represent Bella throughout her quilt. I used this plum fabric in my little block of houses for Charlie's house and wanted to use the same fabric throughout the quilt to represent Bella. Unfortunately, the print is to big to be accommodated in this block. Additionally, I reversed the shading in the pattern, putting light silver where dark should be and vice-versa, throwing the perspective off.


The pattern for Bella's Bracelet was designed by Cat, who also designed the Twilight Book Cover pattern. I plan on using this design in my quilt, I'll just have to give the block another go in different fabrics. Jump rings will be attached to the final block to give it the look of charms on a bracelet. Very clever, indeed.

No comments: