Saturday, January 9, 2010

My Twilight Quilt: Vampire Baseball

[Edward] led me a few feet through the tall, wet ferns and draping moss, around a massive hemlock tree, and w were there, on the edge of an enormous open field in the lap of the Olympic peaks. It was twice the size of any baseball stadium. . . . Farther out I could see Jasper and Alice, at least a quarter of a mile apart, appearing to throw something back and forth, but I never saw any ball. It looked like Carlisle was marking bases, but could they really be that far apart? –Bella Swan, Twilight, page 367

My first Vampire Baseball block was 12". And home plate faced the wrong way. Go figure. I'm an 'indoors' kind of girl, except I love to garden.

Instead of unpicking, I decided to just make a new block. Well, that's not really true. I do plan to fix home plate on my first block, if that block is ever needed. I had been formulating plans for a new layout on my quilt with all the blocks being 6" with 1" of sashing in between. I definitely wanted to include a Vampire Baseball block. It is one of my favorite scenes in the book and my favorite scene in the movie. So I drafted out a new pattern at 6" and made the block again:

The green fabric of the infield is one I will be using here and there in my quilt, as is the off-white on the bases and pitcher's mound. The kind of 'foresty' fabric of the outfield is from my fellow TwilightMOM, Wanda, and I hope to use it in a couple of other spots in my quilt. The bat came from a pack of sports themed buttons from JoAnn's and the ball is from a Streamline Set of buttons, K2155.

No comments: